VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What program do you use to convert from .avi files etc to DVD or an .iso?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Right OK!
    First,
    I've been playing with a few free 'couple of clicks GUI frontends and out pops your DVD' programs.
    Currently have installed:
    DVDforger 062alpha
    FAVC 1.06
    DVDFlick 1.2.2.1
    Tried a few others but found these the best so far. Get good results with all but time to stick with one, one thats an active project that updates come out regular, when encoders etc have newer versions.
    Anyone using anything they think is better, like faster but higher quality at the same time, proper auto detection of input file, etc?
    So who has tried/uses the above software, and any others so you can compare them?

I'm not worried about menu's etc, not really played with them yet.
    I like the option to create an iso so I can test it then burn later if it looks good.

Second question is the encoders!
    HC
    QuEnc
    FFMPEG
    So the above frontend GUI software passes the commands to these programs?
    So what encoder to use?
    Are some more reliable than others? Faster? Better output?
    I only have 1GB of RAM on this box , will an upgrade make a little speed difference? None? Video converted in half the time?

Thought I would stick in a wee poll, please register your vote. Sure it will be useful for something

Any input and suggestions are very welcome!
    Thanks for reading.
    mcv.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why bother to re-convert? too many divx players , also watchable on PC if necessary. Waste of time money and effort.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN, FFS :P
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Why bother to re-convert? too many divx players , also watchable on PC if necessary. Waste of time money and effort.

All I want to do is convert my avi files to a DVD to watch on a TV, lend to mates, whatever.
    They are already avi files, some compressed different.
    Sometimes I record some programme series off TV and cut out the adverts etc, ending up with an avi, that I convert to DVD to watch on TV when I like.
    Do the same with some of the kids programmes for my son, so he then has his 'favourite DVD' with hours of kids stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For most stuff you will get very good results using favc with hc as your encoder.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    For most stuff you will get very good results using favc with hc as your encoder.
    Thanks for taking time to reply!
    But what settings do you use for FAVC?
    For example what preset to you use? Speed, Balance or Quality?
    Also, in the Audio Options tab, have you tried the Normalize option for the volume? If you have does it make the sound any better, worth using this option? Does it add much longer to the making of the DVD?
    Anyone else used this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Actually I don't use favc. Out of the list that you mentioned I think that favc will provide you with the best quality.

Use the best profile in hcenc. Unsure on the normalize.

Personally I use a front end that I wrote myself. HCbatchGUI which is a front end gui for hcenc, aften, dgpulldown. It will do pretty much everything that favc will do but won't create a dvd for you. You end up with elementary video and audio streams that you can then use to author a dvd yourself using software like gui4dvdauthor. I like authoring the dvd myself so that I can create much nicer looking menus than the basic ones that most all in ones produce.

Honestly if you are just wanting to create basic dvd's with simple no frill's menus then just stick with favc/hcenc and use the best profile settings.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FAVC, best quality. I don't normalise the audio, but then I don't have a problem with the large dynamic range of AC3 audio either. Normalising the audio won't make it take longer to encode.

The only way you will get better quality would be to use the same tools FAVC uses, but to learn how to do it manually.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by RabidDog
    Why bother to re-convert? too many divx players , also watchable on PC if necessary. Waste of time money and effort.
    Exactly.

I used to do such conversions occasionally though. Like this:

1) Extract audio with VirtualDub. Convert to AC3 with ffmpegGUI.

2) Load file in FitCD to generate Avisynth script. Edit script if necessary to add filters.

3) Use Videohelp bitratecalculator.

4) Encode video only with CCE.

5) Author with TMPGencDvdAuthor.

Or perhaps a framerate conversion is necessary because you're doing it for someone whose player can't do PAL<->NTSC:

1) Convert video framerate within VirtualDub, and audio with BeSweet. Encode video and author.

OR

2) Use DGPulldown before authoring.

It's been quite a while since I've done it because I had to think a bit on the above. :P
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the time you have all taken to reply.
    So FAVC is the best to use?

Anyone else suggest another free software they have used?

Anyone else suggest better encoders?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="mcv2008"]
    Originally Posted by RabidDog

By reconvert do you mean converting my avi file to a DVD that will play in any cheapo basic DVD player?
    I prefer to get the movie onto a DVD and watch it on a big TV, sitting with my feet up on a comfy sofa, instead of on this 19" monitor in this office chair. Better sound setup on my TV too.
    Why am I wasting money?
    Effort?, I would say I'm learning something about video converting.
    Time?, just something I'm messing around with in my spare time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And please could people use the poll if you have time?
    Could you's also please post the program that you use that is unlisted.
    To give me, and others an idea of what software to go for!

FAVC looks like the one to use, but the poll says different...
    Quote Quote