VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi! this is my very first time being here so HI !
    this is my problem: I have a DVD from Ukraine/Russia Region 5 I know why it was not playing on my laptop, which is from USA Region 1, but I took a risk and changed the region to the one in Ukraine, but the disk still wouldn't play! then I found this website and said, GREAT ! now it will for sure tell me how to get around this problem, BUT ! I still don't see a way, please, could someone walk me through it? I would appreciate the time and effort I don't even know exactly what is the name of my DVD player on this computer. I think its name might be: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-T10N ATA Device
    if need more info to help me, just ask and please tell me where to look for it and I will sure to give you all the info needed, also if someone could please tell me why I couldn't play Region 5 dvd even after I changed the DVD/CD-ROM driver to be Region 5?
    thank you all in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Don't get into the habit of changing the region settings on your drive....you normally only have 4 or 5 changes then it locks on the last region....BE CAREFUL.
    Your DVD drive appears to be an LG model.
    Look here for ways around the region coding issue:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/region-free-tools

There is no reason why a computer based DVD player/burner could not view that DVD if it is a "legit" DVD. Computer based players don't care about PAL/NTSC issues either (similar but DIFFERENT to region codes/coding).
    Quote Quote  
  3. TO: Hech 54

the DVD that i'm talking about played on a different computer, on the one from Ukraine and the same region, but not mine. when i enter the DVD into my laptop it either spits it back out or spins the DVD furiously.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's a read error, not region protection.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. so what can i do to be able to see the dvd on my laptop? i know for sure that it plays i played it on a regular dvd at my friends home as well as a different computer. but both the dvd player at my friends house and the computer were from Ukraine as well as the DVD discs that i'm trying to view.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Elena9214
    so what can i do to be able to see the dvd on my laptop? i know for sure that it plays i played it on a regular dvd at my friends home as well as a different computer. but both the dvd player at my friends house and the computer were from Ukraine as well as the DVD discs that i'm trying to view.
    If I were you I would download and install AnyDVD (30 day trial):
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/AnyDVD
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hech54!!!! THANK YOU !!!! i tried everything from dvd ghost to region killer and nothing helped, but that Any DVD is working and i'm watching a move right now, so THANK YOU !!!!! YEY!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Elena9214
    Hech54!!!! THANK YOU !!!! i tried everything from dvd ghost to region killer and nothing helped, but that Any DVD is working and i'm watching a move right now, so THANK YOU !!!!! YEY!
    AnyDVD used to be much cheaper. It's a bit high priced now but it might be worthwhile
    if you plan on getting more DVD's from other places.
    Quote Quote