VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I wonder is someone could answer this question:

I downloaded Image Grabber II and installed it on my Notebook and on my two desktops. I have Windows XP SP2 on all three. It works great on the notebook and on only ONE of the desktops.

The desktop I have probel with is where the Imagae Grabber II reads every file type except wmv !!!

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks you.

King_Tut
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    You might try installing Windows Media Video 9 VCM.
    Thank you for your tip. I appreciate it. It didn't work though. I can open and capture images if the file has (rm, avi, mpeg) but not wmv....

Thank you. I wonder what else can try ....

King_Tut
    Quote Quote  
  3. What exactly happens when you try to open a WMV file? Can you see WMV files in the File Open dialog? Can you select it and open one? Do you get an error message? Does the error occur with all WMV files or just one that you've been trying? Does the exact same file open on one of your other computers?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly happens when you try to open a WMV file? Can you see WMV files in the File Open dialog? Can you select it and open one? Do you get an error message? Does the error occur with all WMV files or just one that you've been trying? Does the exact same file open on one of your other computers?
    To me it just gets stuck with wmv files (and yes I waited a long time), in other word unresponsive, and there's nothing you can do but shut it down with task manager. I'd be happy to hear ideas or other software recommendations.

-Spango

(I actually know King Tut from another forum -- Hello King Tut! We're running in the same circles eh? )
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What exactly happens when you try to open a WMV file? Can you see WMV files in the File Open dialog? Can you select it and open one? Do you get an error message? Does the error occur with all WMV files or just one that you've been trying? Does the exact same file open on one of your other computers?
    Thank you for your response. Here are the answers to your questions:

1) What exactly happens when you try to open a WMV file?
    Image Grabber opens.

2) Can you see WMV files in the File Open dialog?
    Yes. I see all different-type files including the WMV files. If I select an MPEG, or an RM, or an AVI file, it plays it
    back and I can capture whatever number of images I want. But if I select a WMV, I can hear the audio, but there
    is no picure (Black screen) or the picture is fuzzy with vertical thin lines, or wide horizaontal lines in pink and
    green.

3) Do you get an error message?
    No, I don't get any messages. And, I can easily close the Image grabber window with no problem.

4) Does the error occur with all WMV files or just one that you've been trying?
    Yes. It happens with all types of wmv files. The other types play fine and I can caputure theire frams with no
    problem.

5) Does the exact same file open on one of your other computers?
    No. My other two PC's are fine.

I am grateful for your help. And, I shall wait till Sunday for more feedback before I re-foramt the C:drive and reload my softwares.

Best regards,

King_Tut
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Spango
    To me it just gets stuck with wmv files (and yes I waited a long time), in other word unresponsive, and there's nothing you can do but shut it down with task manager. I'd be happy to hear ideas or other software recommendations.
    -Spango
    (I actually know King Tut from another forum -- Hello King Tut! We're running in the same circles eh? )
    ======================================
    Hello Sangno,

Thank you for your reply. All is well here part from that small problem.

I can still do the work useing either my notebook or the other PC (the Double Core). But the PC in question is just creating some challenge that I want to meet, face, and resolve.

I remember your name from other Forums too. Hope you are OK are ready for a great weekend.

Be well,

King_Tut
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by King_Tut
    Yes. I see all different-type files including the WMV files. If I select an MPEG, or an RM, or an AVI file, it plays it back and I can capture whatever number of images I want. But if I select a WMV, I can hear the audio, but there is no picure (Black screen) or the picture is fuzzy with vertical thin lines, or wide horizaontal lines in pink and green.
    This indicates a problem with the WMV video decoder that the software is using. Do you know if it uses VFW or DirectShow? Does the software let you view what filters are being used? Do the WMV files play fine with Windows Media Player?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by King_Tut
    Yes. I see all different-type files including the WMV files. If I select an MPEG, or an RM, or an AVI file, it plays it back and I can capture whatever number of images I want. But if I select a WMV, I can hear the audio, but there is no picure (Black screen) or the picture is fuzzy with vertical thin lines, or wide horizaontal lines in pink and green.
    This indicates a problem with the WMV video decoder that the software is using. Do you know if it uses VFW or DirectShow? Does the software let you view what filters are being used? Do the WMV files play fine with Windows Media Player?
    Again, thanks for your interest to help me.

1) Do you know if it uses VFW or DirectShow?
    No, I don't know. How can I find out?

2) Do the WMV files play fine with Windows Media Player?
    Yes. my Win-Med-Player plays everything just fine.

Hope this will shed some light. Thanks,

King_Tut
    Quote Quote