VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have a MKV video file that is about 8 GBs. its a movie, the m-trix. it has subtitles in english. when playing in MKV format, graphics are great.

problem: wish to convert it to a format that can be transferred onto DVD, with similar quality as well as none of the momentary slowdowns in between video frames that is in the video after it has been converted into an avi file.

criteria: does not mind the size of the file, simply wish to convert it to a format that can be transferred onto a DVD using NERO version 8 without any loss in quality (and sound). does not mind loss of subtitles either.

trials: have tried converting the MKV into an AVI with Magic Video Converter but the quality is far worse then the original. as well, the MKV file itself cannot be burned onto a dvd with NERO version 8.

any solutions are welcomed. best solution will be those where i can use a program like OJOsoft MKV converter to accomplish the conversion process in one step without any loss of quality. (but the problem here is that there are so many different output formats in the program that i dont know which one to choose from, same with the : Magic Video Converter).

please help with any suggestions.

Search Comp PM
    So far you have only tried very poor quality software.

You need to be clearer in what you are trying to achieve.

There is really only one way to maintain the quality you have, and that is to author it for a bluray player and burn it to a dual layer disc.

Anything else you do to it will reduce the quality, in most cases but quite a lot.

If you want to best quality DVD version you can get, go a buy the DVD instead of downloading pirated versions of easy available films.
    Read my blog here.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know. its sort of a pet hobby of mine to make my own dvds. so i dont really care about watching it that much, more of a collection.

anyways, you were talking about authoring it for a blueray player. what do you mean exactly.

to clarify my problem, i want to convert a MKV movie into a format that can be burned onto a dvd using programs like nero without losing any noticeable video quality in the process. (i do not mind the size of the file after conversion being the same or larger) or even better, if there is a way to get the MKV file directly onto dvd that would be great too.

plus if anyone can answer my question as to how was the original uploader of the video able to upload the matroska file onto the internet in the first place, i mean, didint his original copy come from a dvd as well. which means that there must be a way to get the movie onto a dvd while still maintaining the same video quality.

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    to simplify my question, it would be : how to you get a MKV file onto a DVD-R without any or minimal loss in video quality.

Search Comp PM
    The original copy, I would guess (as you have provided no details other than it is an mkv file) was a bluray or HD DVD source. Use mediainfo to find out what is in the file, and I suspect you will find it is high definition H.264 with either original AC3 audio or perhaps AAC audio.

To convert it to DVD you would have to resize it down by 75% to get to DVD compliant standard definition, and then resample and re-encode the audio. You could still keep it large enough to fit on a dual layer disc - so about the same size it is now - but the quality will be noticeably lower.

If you don't have a bluray player or PS3 then you cannot do what you want to do.

How do you get the file you currently have onto a DVD at the best possible quality you can (which will be substantially lower than the source) ?

Demux the video and audio streams.
    Convert the audio to DVD compliant AC3 - how depends on what it currently is - you need to provide more details.
    Resize and re-encode the video using avisynth and a good encoder - HCEnc, CCE,Mainconcept or ProCoder
    Author and burn to a dual layer DVD.

If you have a PS3, use mkvtoVOB or Xenonmkv to repackage it for PS3 playback.
    Read my blog here.

6. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rerip from your original matrix dvd copy.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no, no PS3. but does have a high resolution dvd player, and a Xbox. but prefer to not use the xbox for dvd viewing.

and furthermore, if i use 2 dual layer disks (splitting the movie into 2 parts after conversion into a dvd compatible format). what type of quality can i expect.

8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    млл
    плллллллллллллллл плллллллм
    Влллллллллллллллл млллллм ммммм Влллппплллм
    Вллл плл Вллл Впллм Вллл Вллл Влллл
    Вллл Вллл Вллл Вллл Вллл млллп
    Влллллллллл плллм плп Вллл Вллллллллп
    Влллппппппп плллм Вллл Вллллллл
    Вллл плллм Вллл Вллл пллл
    Вллл млл млм Вллл Вллл Вллл пллл
    Влллллллллллллллл Влллм Вллл Вллл Вллл Вллл
    ммммлллллллллллллллллм Впллллллп млллм млллм Вллллммммммммммммммм
    ппппп пмпмпмпмпмпмпмпмпллмпмпмпмпмпмпмпмпмпмпм PROUDLY PRESENTS мпмпмпмпппппп
    пппплмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлм лмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмлмллпппп

мллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллл лллллллллллллллллллллллллм
    лллп л MOVIE.iNFO: лп пллл
    лп ппппппппппппппп пл
    л The Matrix (1999) л
    л л
    л GENRE..: Action / Thriller / Sci-Fi л
    л л
    л TAGLiNE: Free your mind л
    л л
    л PLOT...: A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the л
    л true nature of his reality and his role in the war against л
    л the controllers of it л
    л л
    л RATiNG.: 8.6/10 (216,133 votes) л
    л л
    л IMDB...: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/ л
    л л
    лллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллл лллллллллллллллллллллллллллл
    лАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВА БВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАБВАл
    пплппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппппп ппппппппппппппппппппппппплпп

лллп л RELEASE.iNFO: лп пллл
    лп ппппппппппппппппп пл
    л RELEASE.NAME..: The.Matrix.1999.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264-ESiR л
    л RELEASE.DATE..: 27.05.2007 л
    л THEATRE.DATE..: 31.03.1999 л
    л RUNTiME.......: 2:16:12 л
    л SiZE..........: 7.9 GB л
    л ViDEO.CODEC...: x264 л
    л FRAMERATE.....: 23.976 л
    л BiTRATE.......: 6420 kbps л
    л RESOLUTiON....: 1280x532 (OAR) л
    л AUDiO1........: English DTS 5.1 1536 kbps (from TruHD track) л
    л AUDiO2,3,4,5..: English vorbis 2.0 80 kbps - 4 commentary tracks л
    л SUBTiTLES.....: Eng,Ro,Dut,Fin,Swe,Dan,Nor,Fre,Ger,Slv,Pol,Hun,Cze ,Heb л
    л - all ASS л
    л SOURCE........: The Matrix HD-DVD 1080p VC-1 Dolby TrueHD 5.1-CtrlHD л
    л л
    пплпп
    пплпп
    пплпп
    пплпп
    лп ппппппппппппппп пл
    л The Matrix Reloaded (2003) л
    л л
    л GENRE..: Action / Sci-Fi / Thriller л
    л л
    л TAGLiNE: Free your mind л
    л л
    л PLOT...: Neo and the rebel leaders estimate that they have 72 hours л
    л until 250,000 probes discover Zion and destroy it and its л
    л inhabitants. During this, Neo must decide how he can save л
    л Trinity from a dark fate in his dreams л
    л л
    л RATiNG.: 7.0/10 (87,453 votes) л
    л л
    л IMDB...: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0234215/ л
    л л

лп ппппппппппппппппп пл
    л RELEASE.NAME..: The.Matrix.Reloaded.2003.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264-ESiR л
    л THEATRE.DATE..: 07.04.2003 л
    л RUNTiME.......: 2:18:15 л
    л BiTRATE.......: 6300 kbps л
    л RESOLUTiON....: 1280x534 (OAR) л
    л AUDiO1........: English DTS 5.1 1536 kbps л
    л AUDiO2,3......: English vorbis 2.0 160 kbps - 2 commentary tracks л
    л SUBTiTLES.....: Eng,Ro,Pol,Nor,Fin,Hun,Spa,Por - all ASS л
    л SOURCE........: The Matrix Reloaded 1080p HD-DVD VC1 Dolby TruHD л
    л л
    пплпп
    пплпп
    пплпп
    пплпп
    лп ппппппппппппппп пл
    л The Matrix Revolutions (2003) л
    л л
    л GENRE..: Action / Sci-Fi / Thriller л
    л л
    л TAGLiNE: Everything that has a beginning has an end л
    л л
    л PLOT...: The human city of Zion defends itself against the massive л
    л invasion of the machines as Neo fights to end the war at л
    л another front while also opposing the rogue Agent Smith л
    л л
    л RATiNG.: 6.3/10 (66,749 votes) л
    л л
    л IMDB...: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0242653/ л
    л л

лп ппппппппппппппппп пл
    л RELEASE.NAME..: The.Matrix.Revolutions.2003.720p.HDDVD.DTS.x264-ESiR л
    л THEATRE.DATE..: 05.11.2003 л
    л RUNTiME.......: 2:09:16 л
    л BiTRATE.......: 6860 kbps л
    л RESOLUTiON....: 1280x532 (OAR) л
    л AUDiO1........: English DTS 5.1 1536 kbps л
    л AUDiO2,3......: English vorbis 2.0 160 kbps - 2 commentary tracks л
    л SUBTiTLES.....: Eng,Ro,Swe,Nor,Fin,Dan,Dut,Spa,Ita,Fre,Slv,Cze,Heb - л
    л all ASS л
    л SOURCE........: The Matrix Revolutions HD-DVD 1080p VC-1 Dolby TruHD л
    л л

лллп л RELEASE.NOTES: лп пллл
    лп пппппппппппппппппп пл
    л For those that LOVE x264 quality! л
    л л
    л Haali Media Splitter > http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/ л
    л CoreAVC > http://www.coreavc.com л
    л AC3Filter > http://ac3filter.net < USE IT л
    л CoreVorbis or ffdshow for the commentary tracks л
    л Also latest Media player classic and VSFilter for subs л
    л л

лллп л GREETS/NOTES/CONTACTS: лп пллл
    лп пппппппппппппппппппппппппп пл
    л We are currently looking for DualCore Encoders/Boxes л
    л If you have what it takes then mail us л
    л л
    л > esirgroup@gmail.com < л
    л л
    пллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллллл лллллллллллллллллллллллллллп
    п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п п

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

9. You have a warez HD-DVD rip that is 720p

It is impossible to keep the same quality if you convert to dvd spec even if you split to 50 disks. The reason: DVD spec is 720x480 (NTSC). You are converting 1280x534 => 720x480, losing 2x the number of pixels. Even the original DVD is lower resolution. Buy the Blu-Ray instead of downloading illegal rips.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    couldnt super convert be used.

Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry to be rude, but you must be one of the most obtuse people ever to post here. So let me lay it out for you very bluntly.

1. You are discussing pirated video, which is against the rules. You have been warned gently by the mods. Next stop will be the post getting locked. Go and buy the disc.

2. Speaking hypothetically, you have a high definition video file. DVD is standard definition. You cannot put your file on a DVD and have it play back.

3. You can convert you video to the DVD format. You will reduce the resolution by approx. 50% in both directions, as well as re-encoding it. You will lose quality. There is no way to avoid this.

4. SUPER is one of the poorest converters around. It's one advantage is the range of codecs it can encode to and from. But the quality of it's output leaves a lot to be desired.

5. If you do want to convert it to DVD, use FAVC. It is as good as you will get. You will lose quality

6. You have already been told you cannot do what you want to do. There is no point asking again if you can convert this to DVD without losing quality. You can't. Period. End of discussion.

Now, go and buy a legitimate copy of the movie
    Read my blog here.

12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy the MOVIE.