VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am finding that I got a bad batch of TDK DVD-Rs in 2006 so am now in the process of transferring those DVD-R to new DVDs (a new brand as well). When I extract the files with MTR 2.6.6 I get PAD or Delete VOB messages. I choose PAD and then fix bad sectors in MyDVDEdit but when I preview the VIDEO_TS folder with Apple's DVD player, the DVD will clearly be a mess. The menus don't work properly and the 2nd VOB sticks. When I extract the files using MTR's Title Only function, I only get a bad sector message for VOB 1 but not VOB 2 or 3. I then dragged those VOBs into Toast's Video window and did a Save as Disc image. That disc image plays fine with Apple's DVD player. So I have a two-part question related to the bad sectors on VOB 1.

First, is there a way to fix the bad sectors in a VOB file on its own? MyDVDEdit fixes bad sectors but as far as I can tell, the program only opens VIDEO_TS folders that contain IFO and BUP files. I can't get it to open an individual VOB.

Second, and obviously related to my efforts to fix the bad sectors in MyDVDEdit, is there a way to use Toast to create a VIDEO_TS that can then be fixed with MyDVDEdit without burning the DVD first. I prefer not to have to burn (or really waste) a DVD just to re-drag all of those files back onto the computer so the bad sectors can be fixed. The create disc image creates a .toast file and when I choose mount disc image in that file, Apple's DVD player opens (I don't get any kind of exporting option).

Thanks in advance for any help with this. Take care.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you need to use MTR? You don't!

Did you try copy to copy with Toast?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lawnman
    Why do you need to use MTR? You don't!

Did you try copy to copy with Toast?
    Two reasons: (1) The DVD was recorded with a Region 1 set-top recorder and I need it to be Region 0. (2) The original DVD had problems when played with Apple's DVD player, so I didn't want to do a direct copy of a DVD that is not working correctly. I am assuming that there is a problem with the DVD itself because extracting Title Only with MTR gives me good workable VOB files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You say the DVD had problems playing in Apple's DVD Player,
    but an extraction of the VOB using MTR produced a Playable VOB.

Was the disc finalized in the DVD Recorder originally?
    I find that Apple DVD Player doesn't like unfinalized discs,
    even though MpegStreamclip will play the VOBs back
    if I Open and Play them in that.

If the discs weren't finalized, they need to be.
    Put them back in the recorder used to make them,
    and check the option to finalize. If it isn't greyed out,
    finalize the discs and then try playing them with Apple DVD Player.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by danielmak
    (1) The DVD was recorded with a Region 1 set-top recorder and I need it to be Region 0.
    Standalone DVD recorders always record DVDs for play back in all regions, so it being a Region 1 player is not a factor with the discs it recorded. Some resolutions in standalone recorders can be outside the video DVD spec, however, depending on the recorder's settings. What is the resolution of the video on those DVDs?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz
    Originally Posted by danielmak
    (1) The DVD was recorded with a Region 1 set-top recorder and I need it to be Region 0.
    Standalone DVD recorders always record DVDs for play back in all regions, so it being a Region 1 player is not a factor with the discs it recorded. Some resolutions in standalone recorders can be outside the video DVD spec, however, depending on the recorder's settings. What is the resolution of the video on those DVDs?
    In response to Terry J's question/comment, the DVD was finalized. As I noted in the other thread (linked in my post above), I must have had a bad batch of TDK 16X DVD-R. All were recorded in late 2006 on my Toshiba set-top, all finalized, all tested afterwards and worked and now some eject from my iMac G5 Mashita drive, my external Pioneer DVR-112D, and my G5 tower at work. (I even tried some PCs at work and no luck--they are now coasters but weren't when I first recorded them.) This DVD that I am asking about in this thread is like some others recorded at that same time: they jump ahead when I play them with Apple's DVD player, give me the PAD VOB message with MTR and then don't play well when I test the VIDEO_TS. (I don't want to waste the DVD-R by burning if it won't even play with Apple's player). Again, I get one Bad Sectors error with MTR when I extract Title Only and the mounted image plays fine with Apple's player. Since I posted my original question, I burned those VOBs and the DVD plays fine (on the computer and on my set top). I don't know enough about DVD technologies to understand why this would be happening but I tend to buy into the theory put forth in the other thread that the DVDs are deteriorating in some way (or just made poorly--I have had good luck with that brand more generally), so I want to replace those that I recorded around that time now before I get more coasters.

In terms of Frobozz's question, the DVD-R is NTSC, 4:3, SP. When I open the VIDEO_TS with MyDVDEdit, the IFO tab in the program says 720X480 resolution. Is there another way that I should find the resolution?

I should add that my concern about region is that I collect futbol matches and trade with other collectors around the world. One time I forgot to run a DVD through MTR and the collector in Spain could not play the DVD. I sent him another copy that was copied after using MTR and it worked fine. That disc could have been bad (although all others were fine) but I assumed that it was Region 1 and I had just done a straight Region 1 copy whereas MTR was Region 0.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. (little off topic but about region)

when you enable regions, do not forget to uncheck regions 7 + 8 (they are non-compatible with a lot of DVDPlayers)
    bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote