VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Virtualdub, and i have the video loaded in. I am using direct stream copy. I click the [HOME] key to mark where i want the video to start, and the [END] key to mark where i want the video to end. It's supposed to save that section of the video, but for some reason it's not doing it. It's starting the video too late. Anyone have any tips to help things along? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. In Direct Stream Copy mode, any section you keep must start on a keyframe. If you mark-in on a non-keyframe VirtualDub automatically saves from a nearby keyframe mark-in. Hold down a shift key while seeking and you will only stop on keyframes.

This is because the frames between keyframes only encode the differences between successive frames. Without a keyframe there is no way to reconstruct the entire image.

Use VirtualDub's Smart Rendering feature if you want frame accurate editing and minimal re-encoding (only cut GOPS are re-encoded).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    In Direct Stream Copy mode, any section you keep must start on a keyframe. If you mark-in on a non-keyframe VirtualDub automatically saves from a nearby keyframe mark-in. Hold down a shift key while seeking and you will only stop on keyframes.

This is because the frames between keyframes only encode the differences between successive frames. Without a keyframe there is no way to reconstruct the entire image.

Use VirtualDub's Smart Rendering feature if you want frame accurate editing and minimal re-encoding (only cut GOPS are re-encoded).
    So, it would be better to edit out the content in full processing mode, rather than direct stream mode? How do i empliment the smart rendering feature? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're not doing any filtering use Fast Recompress mode. That will avoid YUV to RGB to YUV conversion. Enable the Smart Rendering feature with Video -> Smart rendering. Set the compression codec to the same codec as is used in the source video. If the source is uses CBR (constant bit rate) encoding set the codec to CBR at the same bitrate. If the source is VBR (varialbe bit rate) set the codec to single pass, constant quality encoding, with a high quality setting. For example, in Xvid set the encoder to Target Quantizer mode and set the Quantizer to 3.
    Quote Quote