I am new to ffmpegX, and think it's a great idea. However, I probably don't understand how to setup and use it properly (yet).

I am trying to convert some *.wmv files that I have made from some old 8mm video cam tapes years ago. I want the output to be something that I can use with iMovie, Hyper-Engine AV, and others. Either they won't take .wmv files or they import thru Flip4Mac and it has a watermark since I don't want to buy it.

When I try to convert, 1 of 2 things happens with ffmpegX:

1. It is done instantly and the file is empty (it says finished or failed, depending on the format I am trying to use)
or
2. It says completed, but only the first 10-15 minutes of the original file is there. Seems the only format I can use for output is an iPod setting- none of the other presets... .mov, .dv, .mp4, etc produce anything.

Any ideas why I can't convert a whole file? Some are up to 2 hours long.

I have read numerous postings here and will, and have made certain everything is in the correct place and followed instructions you've left for other newbies. I guess I'll finally figure out how to make it work- or just go out and buy a commercial solution or do the conversions on a PC (I really dislike being held hostage by Flip4Mac when I convert .wmv).

Thanks in advance for help from you experts.

Greg