VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no idea why it's shutting its down on its own. I am minding my own business using it, when suddenly it shuts down. Like the moniter goes black and the system shuts down. I turn it back on again, and it resumes things like nothing has happen. Sort of like manual shut down...except I didn't manually shut it down. I don't believe its the heat, I have a cooling pad used underneath and I constantly check to see if its getting too hot. My dad has the same sort of laptop and it gets way more hotter than this one, and yet this one seems to just shut down randomly. It has a 2gb ram, 2ghz Pentium M processor, and a 60gb hitachi hard drive. Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Check the Power save settings as well as hibernate. It does not appear to be shutting down, but going into hibernate or power save mode.

Does this happen when you haven't touched the keyboard or mouse for several minutes? Does it wake up after a few seconds if you use the touchpad or keyboard?
    Quote Quote  
  3. the number one cause of d610s shutting down is over temp.
    Make sure the fan is running and the grill is free of dust and dirt.
    If necessary use compressed air to blow out the case.
    If the fan is not running then it will need to be replaced.
    The d610 can get quite warm in normal operation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if it's 2-7 year old range there is a good possibility it has bad capacitors on the motherboard in the power regulation section. that is one of the symptoms of leaking caps. open it and carefully inspect all the small can shaped devices for discoloration or a slick look. note if they have an "X" or "T" on them
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    edited: never mind, I just realized that it is a labtop
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. how would I go about blowinw with the compressed air? should i open the keyboard then blow it that way? or some otehr way. And where should i open to see the small can shapped devices?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Since it comes back to where it was, it is not shutting down but hibernating, guess you just don't want to check those settings.

Perhaps you are able to identify a hole when you see one? Blow the air into every hole you find. This would help with overheating causing a shutdown. 99% certain it won't help with your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you have never opened up a laptop it might be wise to skip going inside it. you have to take off the back cover to get to the motherboard.

check in your control panel for the power settings to make sure it isn't set to hibernate after 1 minute of inactivity of something else as silly.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No it's not hibernating, I checked that already. It's as described, it doesnt even state "going into hibernation" nor does it say resuming windows as it would when i hit the power button after hibernation. well, I've only opened it going under the keyboard when I was replacing it. However if you think i should open to view the mother board in the back cover, then I shall try that. what would be the solution if the capacitators were broken?
    Quote Quote  
  10. How long does the d610 operate before it shuts down?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Power supply board, overheated CPU, crack in MOBO; many causes of unintended shut down.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple: Bad lid close switch. Play with it and see if it shuts down. Complicated: Bad MB. Or: Something might be loose from when you changed the keyboard out. Good Luck.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Check BIOS settings to see if something along the lines of "shut down on error" or "reboot on error" is checked. I had a desktop that would reboot at random times. Never figured out what the real problem was, but after changing this setting at least it stayed on. Worked for years afterwards, so it couldn't have been too big a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my computer does similar, it overheats, try using everest to check your PC temperature, mine is 110oc, its getting fixed soon hopefully
    Quote Quote