VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've ripped a video using the xvid codec, but I need to show this file in any OS, specially Windows XP, my question is:

what is the video codec installed by default in Windows XP?

what codec would you recommend me to rip the movie: divx4, divx5???I'm looking for something standard

thanks alot

herbert
    Quote Quote  
  2. There isn't any codec that comes in XP by default that will let you play XviD movies. If you want to play the video with Windows Media Player you'll need a DirectShow filter, for example FfdShow TryOuts (it is free software, use your favorite Internet search to find the latest version)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I think .wmv would be the most ubiquitous on Windows XP systems - most come with windows media player installed. Either that or MPEG1 - but quality wouldn't be as good for the same bitrate as XviD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not include a player on the disc - one that uses its own internal codecs, like Portable VLC (or one of the nightly builds, that doesn't 'require' an installer), or mplayer? That way, you don't have to re-encode the video and take a quality hit, just for the sake of trying to play it on the XP system.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote