VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have all my movies ripped to my HDD using DVDFab. I was originally looking to create AVI (divx/xvid), but from reading through all the threads here it would appear I should go the route of h.264 (MKV/MPEG-4 AVC). I have a PS3/XBox360/SageTV that I want to stream my movies to (tv sizes from 42' to 60'). I am more concerned about the high quality of the file I create then the size. I have used trial versions of ImToo, CloneDVD Mobile, Avs4you,Xvid4PSP,Movavi,Cucusoft, etc...) with mixed results. I am torn between trying to learn some of the free software out there (meGUI, AutoGK, etc...) or paying for a do it yourself software (i.e. Nero Recode, ImToo, etc...). Unfortunately between work and the family I don't have the time I used to (i have read several guides for AutoGK, meGUI, x264 Encoder Settings, etc... and with all the different options and codes it can get a little intimidating since I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to), so I would prefer software that was straight forward and DIY. I have used enough trial versions of different software and have not been impressed, so it is hard for me to pull the trigger and spend money. Like I said, I would like to convert my DVDrips to high quality h.264 (MKV/MPEG-4 AVC) without having to read tons of guides. Maybe this is still a developing technology and I just have to suck it up and learn some of these free programs... Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have already done the ripping and you want a quick and simple way to convert to high quality avi, right?

I have been converting dvd files to avi with imtoo dvd to mp4 converter and clone dvd mobile. For simplified setting (divx avi) tell both that the target device is archos av700. Keep the size at 720x480 and experiment with the bitrate (or quality) setting.

Both allow you to convert only the main movie. The clone dvd mobile outputs a smaller file most the time and is quicker. DVD mobile may be less expensive, but you have to decide which one makes a higher quality video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK produces great results for me. As with any video compression, you have to give it enough bitrate to preserve the quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote