VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got 4 VOB-files (ISO-files) which have been created by a digital videocamera on 4 DVD's. Now I want to combine them into a single DVD with a main menu with two options that each refer to another menu. Each option refers to a menu where one can choose 2 options, the first menu VOB-file 1 & 2 or the second menu VOB-file 3 & 4. I got the menu that I want, but when I compile this DVD both of the VOB-files from each menu will be merged into a single file about one GB. That way I can't copy them easily when I need them in the future. DVD Lab gives an 1998 error which means that I should demux it, but then it will be merged and the orginals are gone.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ...when I compile this DVD both of the VOB-files from each menu will be merged into a single file about one GB.
    That's because that's the DVD standard for VOB sizes. Authoring will make each one about 1GB and the last one smaller with what's left over. Take a look to the upper left on this page for "WHAT IS' DVD and you will see the DVD structure, format and specifications.

Demuxing, or more likely, extracting the MPEGs from the VOBs is probably what DVD Lab is suggesting. Then you could create separate titles for each video from the VOBs. But other members can probably give you a easier method to end up with what you want.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Menus will always get combined in one VOB. You can always get them back using VobBlanker or other software.
    But back to DVD Lab. You can save your menus from the project for future use if you click on Menu (upper toolbar) while your menu window is open and go down to Export As. give you an option how to save it for future use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So 4x 700 MB VOB-files will be combined to 2x (1 GB + 400 MB VOB-files) and afterwards I always can separate them with some tools to 4x 700 MB? Does it come with some quality loss by the way?

I made a TMPGENC project exactly like that so I can burn it directly. I was wondering if I could leave them separated before I would stick to that method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you author the contents of each VOB into it's own title you will still have 4 700 MB VOBs, each in it's own VTS. Simply authoring VOB contents does not affect quality. It is only when you start to re-encoding that impact the image.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rmdeboer82
    So 4x 700 MB VOB-files will be combined to 2x (1 GB + 400 MB VOB-files) and afterwards I always can separate them with some tools to 4x 700 MB? Does it come with some quality loss by the way?

I made a TMPGENC project exactly like that so I can burn it directly. I was wondering if I could leave them separated before I would stick to that method.
    To your first question (4x700 MB).
    You can combine them and import that file to DVD Lab. It will be little larger 2x1+800 because other stuff you add like menus and such.
    Yes you can separate them later. Since you combined them only and resulting file is smaller than DVD5 capacity, than no re encoding will be necessary so files will have same quality.

To your second question.
    You can leave each file as is and import to DVD Lab like that.
    Than you have choices to use one VTS with four movies in it or four VTS with one movie each.
    First method is little more flexible, because you can make a menu buttons and play clips with different sequence.
    To do this with four VTS is little more complex.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a simple way to make four VST with each a movie in it using DVDLab? And is it then still possible to use hierarchial menu's (2 submenu's in the main menu) (clicking two times before the movie starts)? Should I use VGM?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want each movie in its own VTS, than you have to use VMG Menu to get to them or a "Bridge" in one VTS where your main menu is located.
    The button to play movie in other VTS has to be connected to a bridge and from there to the movie or other menu in that VTS.
    I am not sure what do you mean by "hierarchial menus".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With hierarchial menus I mean for example, that I've got the main menu with Season 1 en Season 2 (clicking one will open the submenu, not playing the video file), within each season (thus submenu) I can select one of the two (in my case) episodes that I want to play/see.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rmdeboer82
    With hierarchial menus I mean for example, that I've got the main menu with Season 1 en Season 2 (clicking one will open the submenu, not playing the video file), within each season (thus submenu) I can select one of the two (in my case) episodes that I want to play/see.
    In This case, you should have a Main menu in VMG with button to Season1 and Season2. Than direct the button to Root menu in, let say VTS1, where your Season1 episodes are.
    The Root menu in VTS1 will have buttons to play each episode in that VTS and extra button to return to Main Menu in VMG so you can than go to Season2.
    That is what I would do in this case.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you tinker, I get the menu what I wanted (however when I click on a image in the dvd menu, it leaves a white rectangle behind, probably it's slow so I can see it before movie begins to play, maybe there's a solution for?).

The next thing: DVDLab Pro adds chapters automatically even when I remove them using right-click. Besides that, the content of the VOB-files changes systematically on offsets x0yyyyyC21 and x0yyyyy421. There was 01 and there will be 00 now about 3500 times. I haven't find a tool yet which displays frame and or header info (maybe all frames have flagged copyright on for example) so I can see what has been altered in the VOB file.

Do you know why this is so? Can I prevent it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found out the following:

DVDLab Pro changes de Reserved byte on 421h within the Pack Header (according VobEdit: [Navigation Pack] [VOB: x] [CELL: y], 0012). I assume this will happen on every navigation pack (I tested a few, but I won't check 3500 entries).

I don't know what this means, so if anyone can clear it up?

Somehow DVDLab Pro doesn't listen when I say not to change the files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure about a Header change. For that you should go to DVD Lab forum to ask there.
    As for chapters, I do not understand what are you saying, but when I use Lab, unless I insert chapters, they are not there.
    There is an automatic option to do that, but it does not do it by itself.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When doing "Chapters" -> "Delete All Chapters" by right clicking for every movie in each VST, after compilation there appear chapters when inserting the DVD in Windows Media Player for example. Or is there somewhere an hidden option for auto chapters at compilation?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not know about any hidden option. Do all chapter point disappear from movie when you clear them?
    I do not trust WMP too much.
    Quote Quote