VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded a movie in MKV format, and want to convert it to DVD, so I can play it with my DVDplayer. I used ConvertXtoDVD and WinAVI (newest verion), both can complete the conversion, however, the audio in DVD is completely distorted, like robot language.
    I search the internet, and found the following comments,

On the other hand if the MKV contains the geeky moron type files like H264 video and aac audio your just going to have to fight through the conversion. One way is to extract the audio separately as aac then using dbPoweramp Music Converter with the aac codec added to it convert the audio to uncompressed wav. Using All2Avi convert the h264 video to xvid or divx choosing "no audio" so you get a video only file (otherwise it usually crashes with audio included). Then using V Dub Mod open the audioless video and add the uncompressed wav in the streams section and set it to Full Processing and convert it to mp3 or ac3 at what ever bitrate (128? the smaller rate you choose the smaller the resulting file) and set the Video section to Direct Stream so the video is copied not reencoded and save the file.

The MKV file is just in the format the guy mentioned, including a H264 video and an acc audio file, I am trying to use his method, but it is really a torture to do the conversion in such a complicated way. Can anyone tell me why the ConvertXtoDVD and WinAVI did not work, struggling on it for more than 10 hours, will appreciate any comments and help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am not surprised that WinAVI struggles to produce a quality output - it is prone to this with any source. As for ConvertXtoDVD - you don't say what version you are using, or what else might be on your system.

I have had some success with FAVC and DVD Flick, however I have also found mkv to be one of the less consistent sources for conversion, and it often requires some finessing. Of then this is as simple as demuxing the comtent with mkvextractGUI, then using mkvmerge to put back just the video and audio streams, then converting.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use ConverttoDVD 3.1.0.25. I am not quite clear about the "demuxing then merging" process you mentioned. I already extracted the MKV file using mkvextractGUI, and got a H264 video and an acc audio file, so if I use mkvmerge to put them back together, will the final file be different from the original one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It depends. Often mkv files are full of crap. As well as video and audio, then may contain subtitle files in several formats, jpeg images and God knows what else. Even when there is only video and audio, I have found just the process of demuxing (extracting out the separate streams) and remuxing (merging them back together again) often seems to smooth out subsequent conversions.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi mate, your method works, I did not expect it can work, but it does work. why people created the MKV container, which I think is not compatible and consistent.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am new to that kind of files, but I am downloading a couple of them, really big indeed (4.3 and 6 GB). How should I manage them to play them on a DVD player? It's better to convert them to a DivX file or to a DVD video? Which is the most effective procedure, and what conversion software do I need?
    Last question: if the MKV file is larger than 4.5 GB, how could I split it in two DVD (or DivX)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At a wild guess you have H.264 720p HD files. They should convert nicely to DVD. If you want to maintain quality, encode and burn to a DL disc, otherwise use a good encoder and go for single layer size. FAVC should do a good job.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger, thanks for your help! Still got one question. After demuxing the MKV to audio and video files, I wonder if I can use ConvertXDVD to load the two files directly, without putting them back together? (Actually tried, but failed, just wondering why?)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the time, MKV2VOB works for me on .h264 video,other times I'll use mkvextractGUI and then tsmuxer...You can set MKV2VOB to file split or none...You can also create an m2ts file with tsmuxer and feed that in HDBDSplitGui to split file...
    Or you can open .h264 in MKVmerge and split as well....ConvertX2DVD has not worked very well for such .h264 files,at least not for me...audio sync issues and constant files not supported.But most of the time I just stream the video or burn to disc if file size fits SL media..
    But if I want standard NTSC DVD from such files I'll demux>HCEnc>author a new DVD..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guns1inger, my files are indeed H.264 720p HD files, in a mkv container. Good guess! On your opinion, it's possible to convert a mkv file to a DivX (with alltoavi or similar) with a quality good enough for a 720p TV set? Or is it definitely better to convert mkv to DVD video (480 lines, if I remember well)? My DVD player supports both formats.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try converting to a 720 width Xvid file at a reasonably high bitrate. My players don't like AlltoAVI's output. You may have more luck. Otherwise try Xvid4PSP.

Neither Xvid or DVD will give you the same quality as the source when viewed in a 720P TV.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    At a wild guess you have H.264 720p HD files. They should convert nicely to DVD. If you want to maintain quality, encode and burn to a DL disc, otherwise use a good encoder and go for single layer size. FAVC should do a good job.
    Contact your Mr_Odwin, because FAVC is crashing in almost all systems due to CONFIG.INI file

there is a big bug in there

I made that comment in the new version, but a gave the uppermost range...so don't worry

The fact is that this is not a user error, but rather a application error

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies. but something is out of my understanding, will appreciate some further explanation.
    1. t0nee1 mentioned "mkvextractGUI and then tsmuxer", I downloaded tsmuxer, and found that its output formats are ts, m2ts, so what can I do with these format? Can ConvertXtoDVD handle such files.
    2. For MKV2VOB, it is said that this software will remux mkv with x264 video and AC3 audio to a vob file which is playable on the sony ps3. I wonder if the the vob file is also playable on regular DVD players?
    3. guns1inger said that "Neither Xvid or DVD will give you the same quality as the source when viewed in a 720P TV", wondering why? Is there any loss during the conversion? When I convert the MKV to DVD, the converted file size is even larger than the original one.
    Please forgive my ignorance, as I really do not know much about the encode and decode.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I literally do these type of conversions everyday. MKV is my favorite container (it almost often means dual audio ). ConvertXToDVD, like all software may not work all of the time and I have seen it struggle with MKV on occassion.

If ConvertXToDVD doesn't work for me, I do (not necessarily in order).

1) CCE (payware)
    2) HCenc
    3) Quenc
    4) AVSToDVD
    5) DVDLab

For 2-3, you have to have a DVD Authoring tool or you could just drop the rendered MPEG-2 compliant files into ConvertXToDVD and it should work after that.

If you are interested, I can type out my process for 2-4.

I know for a fact that CCE, HCenc and Quenc (coupled with Avisynth) will definately convert that file correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, please be specific for process 2-4. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I will type out some stuff tommorrow, as it is very late.

In the mean time, if you don't have the below software, you need to get it:
    FFMpeg
    Avisynth (whatever the latest version is)

I have written front-ends to these tools which I will be sharing with the community in increments very soon, so it doesn't take me very long, so it won't be as fast for you.

Also, I totally forgot this. I posted a while back about this happening in ConvertXToDVD. You said your audio sounded distorted, kind of like it was sped up? The problem is ConvertXToDVD's version of FFMpeg, which I posted on their site about it. They need to update their version. I had a file, probably similar to yours that sounded like a robot. As I stated prior, I just move on to other methods, and one methods requires the use of FFMpeg and when I got the audio, it sounded the same way it did with ConvertXToDVD. After I updated FFMpeg, the sound was fine.

Edit: Here is my post I made a while back about the issue:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic350683.html
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! All this is quite complicated for a newbie as I am! Let me put a simple question:
    having a movie in a mkv file, and a DVD standalone player which can read only DVD video and DivX (or other .avi stuff), which is the best procedure in term of quality and what software is needed?
    (the DVD is connected to a 720p HDready plasma TV, 37")
    Thank you again, and, please, give me an answer for dummies!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are having problems with FAVC 1.07, try going back to 1.06 if you have it (which is what I am running - I didn't know 1.07 was out).

If you need a cleaned up mkv file then you can use MKVExtractGUI to demux the content, MKVMerge to put just the audio and video back into an mkv container, then try to convert.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excite, have you tried AVSToDVD?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    If you are having problems with FAVC 1.07, try going back to 1.06 if you have it (which is what I am running - I didn't know 1.07 was out).
    It is very odd because I tested again today in a Windows XP SP2 computer and it works just fine

It doesn't run in my laptop with Windows XP SP2 where I tested yesterday, but I will try again

That error was also reported by another user :

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352525.html

MilesAhead member made a suggestion, but the installation package can be unziped to the system root....it creates FAVC folder by itself without spaces or special characters

C:\FAVC
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Maikeru-sama
    Excite, have you tried AVSToDVD?
    No, I have not tried AVStoDVD, will try it. I followed what guns1inger suggested, demux using MKVExtractGUI and then put together using MKVMerge, it solved the audio distortion problem. I am using an upgraded LG DVD player connecting a 720p LCD TV by HDMI cable, when playing the DVD, I had to use 4:3 ratio for DVD player and 16:9 ratio for TV to get right picture, do not know why. The MKV indicated 720p nHD, but if I adjusted the res of DVDplayer from 576p to 720p, there would be no picture in the TV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Once you convert to DVD you no longer have 720p, regardless of the source. DVD simply doesn't support it. I suspect you didn't set the aspect ratio to 16:9 when you converted, which is why you have a 4:3 flagged DVD.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I set 16:9 in MKVMerge, and automatic in ConvertXtoDVD, maybe I should have specified 16:9 here? But the picture still fits to the wide screen LCD, probably the black margins are a little narrowed.
    So what is the best choice if I would like to make a high quality DVD? There is 1080p MKV available in two disks, if I convert this 1080p MKV, will I finally get 720p DVD? It seems that ConvertXtoDVD can only support up to 720*576.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar problem: I would get a 720p output to match my TV set, starting from MKV files that are some 720p and other 1080p. A standard DVD should be 480 lines. Can we convert a MKV file to a 720 lines DivX, and how? Or it's better to convert MKV to DVD video (as excite would do) and how? Help!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As was suggested before,try XviD4PSP or MeGui if you want xvid/avi or .mp4,and keep 1080p or 720p......
    If you want standard DVD 720x480 NTSC or 720X576 PAL..then you'll have to re-encode your mkv....either use FAVC or Demux video and audio>encode with HCEnc or CCE >author a new DVD....
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I have got XviD4PSP and I will try... One more doubt: my DVD player works with DivX/avi (already checked). Should it work also with Xvid/avi files?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Chances are yes, check your manual.....Do you have xbox or PS3?..
    Keep in mind that with your PC specs, don't expect quick conversions in fact take a vacation (just kidding but think about it)...Not even my PC specs will result in a fast process....
    I would recommend you try on a sample clip first,see if your player supports it.....Good luck! 8)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, my player is a Panasonic DVD player, that supports DVD video and DivX files on DVD-R media. As to the conversion time, well, I will be patient...
    just in case I could not play Xvid files, is there any converter MKV->DivX?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub,but I believe you'll have to demux first and create an .avs to open with VD..Not sure it accepts mkv directly,I don't use it much..
    But IMO, I'd convert to H.264/mp4 if your player supports it....
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, t0nee1, I have just checked (on manual, up to now...) and my player should support MPEG4 on DVD-R media. Which software do you suggest for MKV->mp4 conversion?
    I nearly got lost among all those names! (and I have already made up a pretty wide collection of software, and now I have to find some time to learn using it!)
    Quote Quote