VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I don't know if this is where I should put this or not, but heres my question:

I'm currently 16 (almost 17) and almost done high school, I've been editing and such since 2002, I have made a few home movies, ripped some DVD footages and made music videos out of them and such with programs such as Sony Vegas, Photoshop etc,. I know these arn't industry standards but I'm trying to learn avid atm. (and I know it's alot harder then Vegas, I really don't know why they have you use certain editors, I can do almost anything in Vegas)

I understand most aspects of video editing; frame rate, colour spaces, aspect ratios, interlaced/progressive and codecs such as XVID, MPEG4, h.264 etc,

as you can see I'm pretty limited to video editing only.. is this the only skill I would need to advanced in video industries?

I enjoy editing alot and would like to advance in this field.

Any advice on what I should be studying or reading up on to get more into the video industries? Any sites that teach you what actually goes on inside and study what it's like when it's time to edit, how the editor works with the client and such?

Also, I heard you don't need a film degree to get into the buisness, just the know hows, but it gives you a kick start.
    Is there any editing courses I could take immediately that don't require a High School Diploma and teaches me the ins and out of how to work as an editor on job sites and such?

I'm probably in over my head here, but hey it doesn't hurt to be enthusiastic about stuff! Just as long as I don't run out blindly in front of that mac truck.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's who you know, not what you know, sonny-jim.

That's the way this evil world works.

But, personally, I reckon if you could become truly "fluent" with something like Blender you would be immensely employable in all sorts of freelance work. Do something artistic off your own back. Be creative! Express yourself!

That's just my 2 cents!

That mac truck is coming, tho'! So you better hurry up! LOL
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Television/film/video production is a career field that attracts tens of thousands of young people every year. The problem is, there are far, far fewer jobs to fill. The law of supply and demand does not favor you one bit. Even if you do find a way into the career field, you will always be looking over your shoulder, since there will be countless others wanting your job, and willing to do it for less pay. You have NO IDEA what you are getting yourself into.

Of course, you are in Oz, and the situation may be a little different than in the US. But I don't know...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First off the guys above me are right...it is who you know and a very competitive field.

But I don't think you should let that discourage you from trying to get into a company and edit. Corporate video producing is what I do, and as I have worked with many companies the past year, my experience has been that there is a growing need for video producing expertise in the corporate world. Especially as more and more companies sell there products on the web, and use video to strengthen their sales.

I would encourage you to broaden you media knowledge by trying to get a grasp of web design and web coding. Understanding how websites work and how to make a good site combined with video expertise will be extremely valuable to a company. I think especially in the coming years.

Also, learning how to do every aspect of video production is needed. Writing Shooting, Editing, Audio, Compression etc. But it sounds like you already have a good grasp on that. Just make sure you you understand compression. That was something I wish I was taught more in college.

Speaking of College, it is helpful to have a degree in order to get a foot in the door. Most companies will want to see a degree. Now the exception might be if you have strong connections. But either way I would recommend getting a degree in video production.

I think there are great opportunities in corporate video. So I encourage you to go for it. Good luck.

Austin
    MakingBetterVideos.com
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try to get an intern job at one of your local TV stations

It'll be a crap shoot on what software you'll be editing on.
    The majors are Avid, Edius, Vegas and a couple others
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In Television Network Business the great editors are great if only the do everything that the producers warrant. There are plenty of editors that do great work but only to be clip but a ego-lated producer. so instead of being a editor go after the position that makes the decision. CEO, Pres, VP etc. thats were the money is.....But if you just love editing you won't make money in the EVIL MEDIA INDUSTRY>>
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've worked with many editors / post production folks. Here's my take:

1) You've got to be GREAT. Good isn't good enough, so become a god at the stuff.

2) You'll get more work if your personality is good. Primadonnas get quickly shunned.

3) Not only Avid, but Final Cut Pro. I've seen more FCP setups than Avid. If you can afford it, buy an imac, http://www.apple.com/imac/ which will allow you to run OSX and Windows in the same box, or get a Mac Mini with lots of RAM http://www.apple.com/macmini/

4) Unfortunately, most production houses don't care if you have a college degree. They're only interested in your ability to turn out quality material at breakneck speed. This shouldn't discourage you from going to university, however.

5) Editors tend to live a nomadic existence, hopping from one gig to the next. You have to be mentally prepared to do this. Some folks don't like the pressure of wondering when the next project will come. There will be stretches of time when you won't be working.

6) Marvingj makes a good point. A lot of editors end up sitting in a room, acting as operators, as producers dictate what they want from each second of footage. Producers are a weird bunch.

Good luck, and stick with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That sounds like very good advice
    I'm sure creativity plays a big part, too
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If all else fails, the world still needs ditch diggers too. I'm so far off my chosen career path it's obscene. I don't know the right people, I don't even know the wrong people. I wear about 20 different hats at work, one of them being video editing and creation, which as it turns out is given the lowest priority, but at least upper management is aware of how powerful video can be, NOT !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.gif
Views:	168
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	1860
    Quote Quote