VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    37CV510U Toshiba, connected to Mediacom Cable service through a Motorola HDTV capable DVR using a new Radio Shack high speed HDMI cable always displays closed captions (when the program is using them). The only program without them is a Comcast SportsNet feed. I have called the store where I bought the set and they had me called Toshiba. Toshiba walked me through the menus to turn off the feature, (which I had already done), and since it still occurred, they said it was the Cable Company's fault. Spent an hour on the phone with Mediacom and they walked me through all the cable box remote controls, which I had already done anyhow, and nothing improved. There didn't seem to be a way for the cable company to turn off that feature although Toshiba says they should be able to. This does not occur when viewing the TV without using the HD connection and is uniquely with the DVR-HDTV connection. When connection through the box simply with the cable, the problem doesn't occur.The DVR is an older used box, supplied by the cable company, and there is a LONG waiting list for a new one. Can the problem stem from the DVR or the TV?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems to be the Motorola cable box generating the captions.

Which Motorola model do you have?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the typical Motorola menu (HD boxes) for enabling closed captions. You get to this menu from the front of the box, not the remote.

1. Turn Power off.
    2. Press Menu. The first menu should look like this.
    3. Use the arrow buttons to navigate. Disable closed captions.

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Motorola model is: "Set-Top Box Model DCT 6416/2300".
    The picture that you show looks like s screen shot. Unfortunately, pressing the menu button after turning the power off merely shows me "16:9" in the little window on front of the box. Nothing shows up on the TV screen. However, pressing "INFO" on the cable box with the power off shows "Subt" and I can toggle that to either "On " or "Off" which I've done. It is in the "Off" position.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it again but just touched the "Menu" button once and the screen you showed did show up just as you pictured. It was enabled. I disabled it. IT WORKS!!! Thank you very much. My set now looks like I hoped it would.
    What a great Forum...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same exact issue w/ my Toshiba/Motorolla combo. After making sure my CC was off on my Toshiba, I called Comcast, my cable company. They told me that there were no CC capabilities on the HD DVR box I followed your instructions (although I did turn the box off and turn the CC off w/ the remote) and it worked like a charm!!
    Thanks so much!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

OMG! I JUST WANTED TO THANK WHOM EVER HELPED ME GET THE STINKIN CC OFF OF MY MEDIA COM CABLE BOX. I TRIED MY SAMSUNG TV A MILLION TIMES ...BUT REALIZED IT WAS NOT THE TV BECAUSE MOVIES PLAYED WITH NO CC. I HAVE A VERY CURIOUS 15 MONTH OLD AND SOMEHOW SHE PUSHED SOME BUTTONS AND TURNED IT ON. WHY YOU CAN NOT TURN OFF CC WITH MEDIA COMS REMOTE...WHO KNOWS...BUT SERIOUSLY ....THANKS AGAIN!
    Quote Quote  
  8. edDV,

Thank you for showing what dump ass software people out there, driving customer crazy, and instead the chip designers often get blame for the BooBoo.
    Quote Quote