VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes we know the PS3 plays Bluray,however tsmuxer doesn't always work...It is a very good method that I and many utilize to create our bluray structured discs or m2ts file...frankly I've had better luck with mkv2vob,and not so concerned with file size,since I stream to the PS3... Not to say that mkv2Vob is fool proof,but when all fails,you'll need to convert ,and for now this works great for me....
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD4PSP
    Just use the Xbox360/PS3 format.....Try it...
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hello...

well my question is this. So you remux using tsmuxer and create a bd5 (including subs) that plays absolutely fine on your ps3. how can this file be played on your pc but with SUBS showing? you can play the mts file in bsplayer but NOT with subs..

I tried editing the bd5.iso and manually adding the .srt file in the stream directory but then the bd5 becomes unreadable to the ps3. any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kdaddy
    PS3 plays BD so why not just run the mkv thru TSMuxer and create a BD? Just remember to set the level at 4.1 and burn the BD files with UDF 2.50 setting
    That works perfectly, BUt this will only work for some 720p files which are under 4,4 GB before you use TSmuxer, beacuse TSmuxer enhances the size and makes it impossible to burn onto a normal DVD-R. Therefore this method is not good enough, what we need is something file based, so we can transfer the file to the PS3 and play it from there, beacuse burning DVD's cost money and it takes more time and effort.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually I'll stream to the PS3 when the file is over DVD-5 size...
    But first I extract using mkvextract and convert the audio using a lower Bitrate , muxing h.264 and new audio with tsmuxer change level to 4.1 if needed and with any luck,create a 4.4Gb or smaller m2ts or Bluray structured disc....BTW for .m2ts file,change extension to .mpg before burning to disc... works for me most of the time,and the one's that don't just convert to .mp4 with XviD4PSP or Megui and Yamb...
    I must say ,that I've had very good luck with mkv2vob,but it also creates a slightly larger file size,however if streaming it shouldn't matter.
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for ressurecting a somewhat old post, but I've been trying to get things going from .mkv video to PS3 readable video w/ soft subtitle video for the last 4 days and wanted to share how far I got, I feel I am close but mainly am hung up on how to either properly setup AVIAddXsubs configuration at the end for playback on the PS3.

The third guide I tried following after testing PS3Video9, mkv2vob, MeGUI, and tsmuxer was the one linked from the AVIAddXsubs webpage:

http://mkv2avi.deanbg.com/

Then when I realized how horrendously long and roundabout this method was, I went back and thought maybe I could shortcut his method of going from mkv to avi with the tools I had already tried previously. Since Dean had already mentioned his method was mainly because he wasn't able to use MeGUI on Windows Vista, I tried that program since I am running Windows XP SP3.

There were 2 methods I tried that brought me close to the results I wanted in keeping quality at the original AVC and does it a lot faster than Dean's method or re-encoding hard subtitles.

First was extracting the mkv to .h264, .ac3, and the subtitle file. I then converted the subtitle file to .srt using Subtitle Workshop.
    Then use MeGUI's AVC2AVI muxing tool to convert the .h264 to .avi (Have to rename .h264 to .264 for the program to recognize, but it does recognize it.)
    And then used VirtualDubMod to recombine the resulting avi with the .ac3 file (using direct stream copy for both streams so as to create the new avi quicker without messing around with compression or filters.
    Then I renamed that avi to match the .srt created previously.
    This avi can be read by AVIAddXsub, and seemed to complete successfully but playing with my PC's DivX player does not seem to work although I noticed I am able to select a subtitle when I right-click the viewing area.

Second method I decided to bypass VirtualDubMod step completely by using MeGUI's Adaptive Muxer to mux the .h264 video with the .ac3 audio directly into an avi.
    This avi also seems to be read by AVIAddXsub properly and completes successfully but again playing with the DivX player does not seem to work. This time though I read the blurb from AVIAddXsub that mentioned that I should try renaming the file from .divx to .avi to play from desktop DivX player. Doing this allows me to watch my video and hear the audio properly, but now there's no subtitle option when I right-click the viewing area.

I was able to successfully copy my hardsubbed .mt2s files created with tsmuxer and mk2vob to my PS3 using a USB Hard Drive. However, although initially my PS3 was initially able to recognize the .divx files I had created even identifying the audio track, after trying to play it it fails and then comes back as an unrecognized file.

I have a feeling I am pretty close to getting this to work, but something important is being missed at the end. Maybe some configuration in AVIAddXsubs or there's also the suggestion on that program's website to burn to a DVD recordable and try to give that to the PS3 to read instead. I'll be trying that option next.

Anyway, I feel I'm close to getting the results I want and just wanted to share the methods that I've learned through a lot of trial and error. And if anyone knows the right step to finalize this process it would help me sleep easier at night.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So after sending the author of AVIAddXsubs a question, I figured out what was wrong with the final step. It's not so much a problem with the method, but the fact that no DivX player (Hardware or Software) can recognize an AVC stream within the .avi container. Thus, for the soft subtitle added with Xsubs to work the stream must be transcoded to Xvid or DivX which results in a quality loss, or larger file size, or both. The resulting transcoded .avi can then have soft subtitles added via AVIAddXsubs. Of course if your MKV had an Xvid or DivX stream already embedded in it, then the transcoding step can probably be skipped.

In conclusion the above method can work, but the resulting quality is highly dependent on your source being already very high quality. So might as well just hardsub it with mkv2vob for faster transcoding and less quality loss. Or if dead set on having soft subtitles, create a blu-ray structure with tsmuxer and burn it to disc with imgburn.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello,
    After looking at this thread and trying to get subs etc playing on my ps3 I came to the conclusion that
    we are in an situation that is almost unworkable with the many different codecs and poor support for them by sony.

I think we as a community need to find an solution to this problem that can help everybody that wants to use a ps3 (or xbox whatever) as a media player.
    I have a couple of ideas about tackling these problems but need help of others to get it to work.

First option would be to get everybody to rip their videos to a pre agreed upon format which is best supported by all devices. As the ps3 is being held back in being a real media player we need a format that works best with current firmware.

Second option would be to develop some sort of jailbreak of the ps3 which allows people to use all current codecs and thereby circumventing sony's sad anti piracy policy.

I know this is a lot of work but I think it can be done if the ripping community unites and gets organized.
    Is there anybody here that can help realize these idea's?
    Quote Quote