VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey.

I want my .MKV files to be played on my PS3, i have managed to do so by using Mkv2vob. In this program i turn off Transcoding so that the process doesn't take hours. But if i want to have subtitles, then the damn program starts transcoding the video, which can take up to 20 hrs.

So i thought why dont i just "convert" the file to an AVI file using Mkv2vob witohut transcoding, and use AVIAddXSub to add the subtitles, beacuse that program doesn't transcode or anything, it just puts the subs on the video file without changing the video file at all. But that didn't work beacuse i got an error from AVIAddXSub saying that the converted AVI file was NOT an AVI file.

So basically what i want here, is that I want my MKV files to be playable on my PS3 WITH subs. I dont care what the file type is, as long as i dont have to transcode or use hours to input codes or whatever.

It should be a fast and easy process. Anyone got ANYTHING?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The question you need to ask first is - can the PS3 play a video with switchable subs ? If it cannot, then you have to re-encode to put the subs into the video. You could also try Xenonmkv.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have added subs to AVI files and played them on my PS3 before, if that was your question?
    And i don't think XenonMKV has subtitle support.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect the answer can be found in here : http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=131782

Happy reading
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure that you have the latest firmware in your PS3. The latest firmware supports more video formats.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Make sure that you have the latest firmware in your PS3. The latest firmware supports more video formats.
    What does that have to do with this? I need MKV to (Any playable file on the PS3) with subs without transcoding. And YES my PS3 has the latest firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can't.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    You can't.
    What? Theres gotta be some way?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you are playing a DVD or Blu-ray disc in the player, the only way to play subtitles in a movie on your PS3 is to hard code them into your video in a PS3 compatible video file format. I'm sorry if that isn't what you are looking for but that's the way it is. There are a lot of people on this forum that enjoy being helpful but you may want to consider taking your demanding attitude somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Unless you are playing a DVD or Blu-ray disc in the player, the only way to play subtitles in a movie on your PS3 is to hard code them into your video in a PS3 compatible video file format. I'm sorry if that isn't what you are looking for but that's the way it is. There are a lot of people on this forum that enjoy being helpful but you may want to consider taking your demanding attitude somewhere else.

I used AVIAddXSub to add subs on a AVI file and put the file on my PS3, then i click the subtitle button and i get the subtitles. the whole process took only a few seconds, is that "hard coding"

And I'm sorry if I'm coming off a bit demanding, but i cant understand why this isn't a feature embedded into Mkv2vob. And i have been sitting here all day, trying to figure this out so its not that fun when someone just comes in and says " you can't" without giving any explanation whatsoever.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your mkv contain divx,xvid video with mp3,ac3 audio then can you use virtualdubmod to remux to an avi and then add subs using aviaddxsubs. But I guess your mkv contains contains h264 video and then it wont work.

If you want something that plays everything get a HTPC and not a toy.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abba91

I used AVIAddXSub to add subs on a AVI file and put the file on my PS3, then i click the subtitle button and i get the subtitles. the whole process took only a few seconds, is that "hard coding"
    That's a nice utility program. Embedded stream is probably a better description for it. That is much better than encoding the subtitles into the video because it saves time and doesn't unnecessarily degrade the video by re encoding it. Since it's an embedded stream, results may vary depending on the player used to play it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you can't Embedded stream a file that can be played on the PS3?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you can't Embedded stream a file that can be played on the PS3?
    I don't know. I haven't tried it myself. You might that a look at http://www.ps3forums.com/ There is a lot of PS3 info there that you might find helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  15. at last i find a post on the whole net with the exact problem i have!!!!

Thanx for the post Abba91!!!

There's no way that noone can't find a procedure to add xsubs in a file tha results from mkv2vob!!!

i don't think it's that difficult..

or a way to convert an mkv file to an avi with some codecs so that we can add some subs to it!!!

And stubborn SONY added xsubs not .srt subs..that;s so ridiculous..Ps3 is capable of a lot of things..it's not just a toy
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agent_sumo
    at last i find a post on the whole net with the exact problem i have!!!!

Thanx for the post Abba91!!!

There's no way that noone can't find a procedure to add xsubs in a file tha results from mkv2vob!!!

i don't think it's that difficult..

or a way to convert an mkv file to an avi with some codecs so that we can add some subs to it!!!

And stubborn SONY added xsubs not .srt subs..that;s so ridiculous..Ps3 is capable of a lot of things..it's not just a toy
    I'm glad you liked my post, and totally agreeing on the fact that the PS3 rocks. But i have tried pretty much everything, and right now we just have to wait for something to come along. I heard AVIAddXSubs would get support for more files so maybe that will be our way out of this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  17. a greek friend of mine created aviaddsubs and told me that he is trying to make compatible with mkv but that's not the problem..
    the prob is that sony eventually allowed xsubs only in avi format...

i think the only way is a future firmware update...sadly.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agent_sumo
    a greek friend of mine created aviaddsubs and told me that he is trying to make compatible with mkv but that's not the problem..
    the prob is that sony eventually allowed xsubs only in avi format...

i think the only way is a future firmware update...sadly.

Sony owns the biggest Hollywood Studios, it is a way to avoid piracy. Why can't I just burn a disk with a AVI file with a separated SRT subtitle and play in PS3 ?

You can do just that in a 30 euros DivX player, why not in a 450 euros sophisticated hardware ?

Is just because, they don't want too

Why not use MKV2VOB tool ? I don't know if it supports subtitles but I think it does.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony is going to get outflanked with their crap. I attended a videographers meeting Monday evening. Outrage is too mild a word to describe the negative feelings expressed about Sony's Blu-ray carry-on. Why the outrage? Because Sony is getting in their way of making money!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think this guide here should be the solution to your problem. It was posted here on videohelp a few weeks back. So read this guide first on how to create the compatible ps3 discs:
    http://www.bitburners.com/articles/convert-mkv-files-to-blu-ray-or-avchd-for-playstati...-tsmuxer/4019/

Then, read this guide on how to add the subtitles with the program they use in the previous guide:
    http://www.bitburners.com/articles/create-avchd-discs-with-subtitles-using-tsmuxer/4047/

There is no transcoding involved as the tsmuxer program only repackages the h264 video into another container; one that is compatible with the ps3. The only problems you should have is how to convert your subtitles to .srt format if they aren't in .srt already and what format your audio is in as they only cover ac3 in the guides.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmo
    I think this guide here should be the solution to your problem. It was posted here on videohelp a few weeks back. So read this guide first on how to create the compatible ps3 discs:
    http://www.bitburners.com/articles/convert-mkv-files-to-blu-ray-or-avchd-for-playstati...-tsmuxer/4019/

Then, read this guide on how to add the subtitles with the program they use in the previous guide:
    http://www.bitburners.com/articles/create-avchd-discs-with-subtitles-using-tsmuxer/4047/

There is no transcoding involved as the tsmuxer program only repackages the h264 video into another container; one that is compatible with the ps3. The only problems you should have is how to convert your subtitles to .srt format if they aren't in .srt already and what format your audio is in as they only cover ac3 in the guides.

since there is huge MKV files around there, even more than a DVD-DL ( 8.4 GB +/- ) capacity

You need blu-ray recorders and disks (media)

I don't know if tsMuxer is the better choice for PS3 because of that needed hardware and media, and they are all very expensive.

what do you think ? does it worth it ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Delta2
    Originally Posted by bmo

since there is huge MKV files around there, even more than a DVD-DL ( 8.4 GB +/- ) capacity

You need blu-ray recorders and disks (media)

I don't know if tsMuxer is the better choice for PS3 because of that needed hardware and media, and they are all very expensive.

what do you think ? does it worth it ?

Well, the OP never mentioned how large his files were, so the method I suggested will work for things smaller than a DVD-R or DVD DL. Other than that I suppose he could split the files up so they will fit onto 2 discs if need be. So yeah I think it's worth it especially since he wouldn't have to use expensive BD-R's. Also, I would say that the majority of MKV rips out there are tailored specifically to fit onto 1 DVD or a single DVD DL, whereas anything larger than that are usually 1080p rips which I don't find to be as common.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bmo wrote,

"Well, the OP never mentioned how large his files were, so the method I suggested will work for things smaller than a DVD-R or DVD DL. Other than that I suppose he could split the files up so they will fit onto 2 discs if need be. So yeah I think it's worth it especially since he wouldn't have to use expensive BD-R's. Also, I would say that the majority of MKV rips out there are tailored specifically to fit onto 1 DVD or a single DVD DL, whereas anything larger than that are usually 1080p rips which I don't find to be as common."

I agree, besides anything larger than SL or DL size I just stream baby ,stream!.....
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bmo
    Also, I would say that the majority of MKV rips out there are tailored specifically to fit onto 1 DVD or a single DVD DL, whereas anything larger than that are usually 1080p rips which I don't find to be as common.
    Thanks, I looked to those rips and I notice that they are named like this : 720p.BD5.x264

BD5 is what must be used to fit in DVD-DL

Most of them are NTSC, 23.976 FPS, which is another problem since PS3 is not region free. Another handicap from Sony

What about in Europe, does that work without changing to PAL ? because the resulting disks would be NTSC blu-ray, I think in Europe the PS3 will reject them
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does FW 2.40 change our situation?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Abba91 check here!!

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic352982.html

it's a good little prog that does exactly what we need!!!!the only prob is tha the video resolution has to be exactly 1280*720

make some tests and give the developer feedback!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing no : http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Posts+Then+Pulls+Playstation+3+240+Firmware+Update/article12262.htm
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Delta2
    Originally Posted by bmo
    Also, I would say that the majority of MKV rips out there are tailored specifically to fit onto 1 DVD or a single DVD DL, whereas anything larger than that are usually 1080p rips which I don't find to be as common.
    Thanks, I looked to those rips and I notice that they are named like this : 720p.BD5.x264

BD5 is what must be used to fit in DVD-DL

Most of them are NTSC, 23.976 FPS, which is another problem since PS3 is not region free. Another handicap from Sony

What about in Europe, does that work without changing to PAL ? because the resulting disks would be NTSC blu-ray, I think in Europe the PS3 will reject them
    Understand that framerate and region codes are not the same thing. Even under the old DVD region codes, Region 2 covered both PAL and NTSC discs, because Region 2 covered UK and Japan. While simplified, the BluRay regions still cover multi-format areas, so framerate should not cause an issue. Uless, of course, you are in the US and have a NTSC only TV and get a PAL framerate file to play.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    I'm guessing no : http://www.dailytech.com/Sony+Posts+Then+Pulls+Playstation+3+240+Firmware+Update/article12262.htm
    Am I glad I didn't update mine!..Thanks!
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS3 plays BD so why not just run the mkv thru TSMuxer and create a BD? Just remember to set the level at 4.1 and burn the BD files with UDF 2.50 setting
    Quote Quote