VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I heard that if you encode things that are around 170mb you can still retain most of the quality and end up with a 70mb file. As you would with real media producer to rmvb. I heard that you can make avi files to avi/mkv files of 70mb and still get good quality? is this true? if so then what can i use as a program to do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have heard a lot. I wonder who you have been listening to.

Bottom line : garbage in, garbage out. If you 170 MB video is not heavily compressed and already full of artifacts, you might be able to get it down to 70 MB and still have it look OK. However there is no micracle cure for high quality video in small spaces.

Xvid4PSP, AVI Demux, AutoMVK are all potential candidates for encoding to X264. But don't expect to just cut the bitrate by 60% and get the same quality. Every video is different and needs to be treated as such. If you are one of these people who believes you can simply fit a running time into space and get the same results every time, then you are one of the deluded.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know some quality will diminish, but i'm just saying retaining enough to not make it look hella blocky and stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What you are looking for would be called a TOOL, which would be listed in the TOOLS section.

MEGUI or RIPBOT264 would be a place to start.

Would recommend testing with a DVD rip first, results from already low-quality downloaded video may very well be disappointing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OH sorry, move this topic then. I'll try it, I'm just looking for a program that's like real media producer, except it encodes to x264.

like from avi to that.
    Quote Quote