VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With every DVD that I attempt to copy, I obtain the following error message while going through the DVD Decrypter process - Failed to set data for "DVDDecrypterPlayDVDMovieOnArrival". I can still successfully complete the burn process most of the time, however all the resulting DVDRs skip constantly. I do not know if it is this error message that is creating this problem, or my hardware. Also, when playing the movies from the computer files directly. they also skip. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks.
    - Rachel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDFAB Decrypter is up to date.
    DVD Decrypter has ceased being updated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the error is something to do with Vista, and is easily fixed.. launch decrypter, click tools, settings, registry and uncheck the 2 boxes under 'shell extensions'. this will eliminate the errors you keep seeing.
    as for the skipping, it has nothing to do with the errors, and is probably caused by the brand of dvd-r you are using.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that tip. It worked. But I'm still getting a Failed to set data for " error when ever I close out the program. Click on ok six times before the error message disapears and the program closes. I never got the errors until I loaded the program on a computer with Vista.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, DVD Decrypter is no longer updated, and work on it ceased long before Vista came out. If it does not run correctly under Vista then you have to either live with the issues, or stop using it.

DVDFab HD Decrypter does work under Vista and will rip current discs that DVD Decrypter fails on.

Imgburn works under Vista and is an improved version of the buring engine from DVD Decrypter.

Other things to try include setting compatability mode to XP SP2 for DVD Decrypter, and running it as Administrator.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had that problem once !
    My case might be a little different . Maybe . I fixed it with a fresh reformat (pc) . And a CMOS ! Resetting the BIOS.
    Actually , in my case , a fresh and clean (older) backup image restored . Along with a CMOS .
    If it still skips after that .... than it's either hardware (dvd , harddisk) or dvd decrypter , if that's the only app you use for ripping . Which I don't recommend . I'm using RipIt4Me + DVD Decrypter + DVD Shrink as a Kit (working together) . AND ... I slapped FixVTS , and installed an old DVDXpressCopy (without using it) in the RipIt4Me folder (I placed in the DVD Decrypter folder) , just for good measure !
    BTW : Ripping / Decrypting time cut in half (?!) with all that junk in the RipIt4Me folder ! Don't ask me why !
    And if your burns still skip after that , then it's a hardware configuration problem , or hardware failure (hope not).
    CMOS ! Yup .
    Try reformat first . I bet you it'll do the job !
    ......LATER .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that tip. It worked. But I'm still getting a Failed to set data for " error when ever I close out the program. Click on ok six times before the error message disapears and the program closes. I never got the errors until I loaded the program on a computer with Vista.
    You can just un-check the other 6 boxes under 'File Associations' inside the same 'Registry' tab under Settings. That seems to do it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Skullwurx
    Usually I'm inclined to let things slide but this time I just can't. Why on earth would you recommend for someone to reformat their hard drive to fix a problem with outdated software. I'm not trying to discourage you from posting to help others but come on.

OP dvddecrypter was a great program in it's day and can still be usefull with the assistance of other "helper" programs but honestly you will be better served just changing to updated software that will accomplish your needs. As mentioned before dvdfabhddecrypter is a very good replacement for dvddecrpyter and imgburn is a formidable burning software that is written by the creator of dvddecrypter.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by freebird73717
    Originally Posted by Skullwurx
    Usually I'm inclined to let things slide but this time I just can't. Why on earth would you recommend for someone to reformat their hard drive to fix a problem with outdated software. I'm not trying to discourage you from posting to help others but come on.
    Hehe, It never ceases to amaze me how many times I go looking for solutions to real problems only to find someone posting their own brilliant masterpiece advice "Is it still under warranty? Take it back to the place of purchase for free repair." At which point (I guess), we're supposed to slap our forehead and utter the words, "My goodness, he is correct. How is it we did not think of this ourselves?"

At least in this case, Skullwurx offers a solution that he has tried successfully on his own PC.

Anyhow, I've just had the same problem as described here, and reading through this thread helped me to solve it. Thank you to all contributors!

So what is the solution? Simple. Install the program, and right-click on the DVD Decrypter shortcut, click on Compatibility -> Run as Administrator. (I also ticked run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 at the same time, so I don't know if this is needed as well, or not).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having the same problem and I unchecked all the boxes as suggested. I want to rip the whole DVD, not just the main movie, I am using ripit4me and dvddecrypter , I used to be able to use imgburn but I forgot how to do it. Will these errors effect my playback?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Nitro89 View Post
    I am using ripit4me and dvddecrypter
    Great....one useless, out of date program and another OUT OF DATE program.

I used to be able to use imgburn but I forgot how to do it.
    Doesn't matter...ImgBurn cannot help you AT ALL with ripping a DVD.

Now will you go back and read the ENTIRE thread?
    Doubtful.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did read the entire thread, my only option is dvdfab, but you have to purchase the program in order to copy the whole DVD
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did read the entire thread, my only option is dvdfab, but you have to purchase the program in order to copy the whole DVD
    Freeware

Version:8.0.8.5
    Released:20110319
    Size:14.7MB

Download (author site)
    Download (direct link)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cured this by right clicking the program in the start menu, clicked properties and on compatibility tab checked the box for 'run in XP Service Pack 3' mode (as jackdeth said above). This also cured another problem I was searching here, it puts DVD Decrypter in the autorun context menu.

I know this is an old thread, but maybe this will help someone else when they search for the context menu problem.
    Old home videos are historical documents that may be best used to annoy your children.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had just done a fresh install of Win 7 x64 and today installed the Old Faithful DVD-D, and up came a Failed to write to " error (six times) as well as the one in the topic line.

Unchecking all the default options in Tools > Settings > Registry did the trick. Launching as Administrator worked on a per-use basis, but unchecking all those Registry boxes has it closing comfortably every time.

Thank you for those who cared enough to share the answer. Most appreciated.

DocB
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had the same problem with closing decrypter and got the same message! but I'm using windows 7, the way I managed to get rid of it was. instead of opening decrypter right click on it and click on to troubleshoot compatibility, then click on to try recommended settings, then click start program. it will then start decrypter then exit and the messages should be gone. go back to the troubleshooting and click next, click on save this setting then close. I hope that helps
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw View Post
    You can just un-check the other 6 boxes under 'File Associations' inside the same 'Registry' tab under Settings. That seems to do it!
    worked for me
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by waefwaeefwaefw View Post

Thanks! This worked for me.
    Quote Quote