VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple of MP4 files that were accidently deleted from my N95's mini SD card. I have tried several "undelete" programs to recover them and several have produced a file with the same name + extension and file size but none that will play in any player I have tried. I even opened them in a Hex Editor with an "Undamaged" recorded videos so that I can compare them in the Hex and they completly look the same.

Does anyone know of a way to repair those corrupt MP4 files? I really need to fix them.

Here is the VLC log// mp4: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov box)

Code:
    main debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX MMXEXT SSE SSE2 FPU 
    main debug: looking for memcpy module: 3 candidates
    main debug: using memcpy module "memcpymmxext"
    main debug: waiting for thread completion
    main debug: thread 2953318400 (playlist) created at priority -47 (playlist/playlist.c:184)
    main debug: thread 2953850880 (preparser) created at priority -47 (playlist/playlist.c:210)
    main debug: looking for interface module: 1 candidate
    main debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
    main debug: thread 2954383360 (interface) created at priority -47 (interface/interface.c:198)
    main debug: looking for interface module: 3 candidates
    main debug: using interface module "macosx"
    main debug: thread 2955448320 (manage) created at priority -47 (interface/interface.c:164)
    main debug: adding playlist item `06062008005.mp4' ( /Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4 )
    main debug: creating new input thread
    main debug: thread 2957045760 (input) created at priority 37 (input/input.c:265)
    main debug: creating statistics handler
    main debug: `/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4' gives access `' demux `' path `/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4'
    main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4'
    main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate
    main debug: creating access '' path='/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4'
    main debug: looking for access2 module: 5 candidates
    vcd debug: trying .cue file: /Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.cue
    vcd debug: could not find .cue file
    access_file debug: opening file `/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4'
    main debug: using access2 module "access_file"
    main debug: pre-buffering...
    main debug: received first data for our buffer
    main debug: pre-buffering done 1408981 bytes in 0s - 494593 kbytes/s
    main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4'
    main debug: looking for demux2 module: 44 candidates
    mp4 debug: found Box: ftyp size 28
    mp4 debug: found Box: mdat size 11900226
    mp4 debug: skip box: "mdat"
    mp4 debug: found Box: í—ƒ
     size 3866125030
    mp4 warning: unknown box type í—ƒ
     (uncompletetly loaded)
    mp4 debug: out of bound child
    mp4 debug: dumping root Box "root"
    mp4 debug: |    + ftyp size 28
    mp4 debug: |    + mdat size 11900226
    mp4 debug: |    + í—ƒ
     size -428842266
    mp4 debug: unrecognized major file specification (mp42).
    mp4 error: MP4 plugin discarded (no moov box)
    ffmpeg debug: couldn't guess format
    ps warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS stream, continuing anyway
    main debug: using demux2 module "ps"
    main debug: looking for a subtitle file in /Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/
    main debug: `/Users/khaledalsudairy/Desktop/06062008005.mp4' successfully opened
    ps warning: garbage at input, trying to resync...
    main debug: EOF reached
    macosx debug: input has changed, refreshing interface
    main debug: closing input
    main debug: removing module "ps"
    main debug: removing module "access_file"
    macosx debug: input has stopped, refreshing interface
    main debug: thread 2957045760 joined (input/input.c:412)
    main: nothing to play
    Picture from Hex Editor

The video file if you would like to help

Download (11mb): http://mt14.quickshareit.com/share/06062008005zip1437e.zip

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really want those videos back

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Up

No one really want to help?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i download it and took a look. there don't appear to be any mp4 gop headers after the piece of a file header at the beginning. nothing can identify any remaining segments. mpeg video repair could only find what it thought might be 31 frames of mpeg-1.

appears to be random data off the drive. maybe after it was deleted you might have continued to use the drive and it was partially overwritten.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. After It was deleted I took the SD memory out of the phone. But I remember when the deleting progress showed on the screen I pressed the red button immediately hoping to save some files.

So is there any way to fix that file aedipuss?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    normally with windows a file delete only changes the file name and makes the sectors re-available for data. this one appears to have had it's sector chain written over with random data. not knowing the operating system it's possible that's how it does it. no one short of an nsa black hat person will get that file back if it's been overwritten.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So you mean when I recovered it, the sector chain had been re-written over some random data? is it from the phone's OS (Symbian) or the recovery program? (Used windows to do that). I recovered the file using (Recover My File) app.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The file either has random data in it or the recovery program didn't function correctly (collecting incorrect data or collecting the data in the incorrect order). Either way, if the file isn't usable after being "recovered", then there isn't much that you can do.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see. so is there any recovery app that you recommend? on any OS.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I used CardRescue to recover mp4 files. from a Flip Camera Minot HD. They all work except one – the largest and the most important, a 5 minute shot. It is 504M. I really want the video. I looked at the data but I don't know what to look for or how to fix it. I did not use the camera after the files were "deleted".

It seems CardRescue is having trouble with the segments as defined by Flip Video. CardRescue made the very last video file extra large (it was playable and I fixed it by exporting from Quicktime) so it obviously has some limitations. I would try a different recovery program but I hate to pay for another one and have it not work.

How can I recover the video and audio from the file? When I try to open it it says it is not a movie file.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have this same problem i had a nokia n93 the phone failed to turn on it jus said please contact nokia vendor

some of the videos and pics i could recover but the most important ones i couldnt so its not even like i deleted them
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am having the exact same problem myself. I have working mp4's to compare to, but my problem seems to be (sorry for lack of proper terms) the bottom portion of the data is missing. I have tried copying and pasting that data from a working video to the corrupt, with no luck. I am going to post my question as well, hope you get a solution! If I do, I will PM you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had some minor success (if you want to call it that). Using a hex-editor, pasting the data just past the inital header (mdat....) into a working video file, removing the exact amount of data from the working media to paste the broken media in this place. The video is completely distorted, but it gives me some hope that the media isn't completely corrupted. I believe this to be random luck though, because I tried this same technique with another working media file, to get the same unrecognizable error from the media player.

I am a complete novice, if I had something to help me understand the structure of an mpeg-4 in hex, I could definitely figure it out.

Can anyone point me to some?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your getting further than me m8

i have about 30 films of my holiday on the one memory card half play the other dont its frustrating me to death
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any one pls help me .. i recorded some video from ma nokia 5233 phone. format-mp4 res-640*352 , the problem is after recorded video, when i am going to see .. tht video attempt some errors .. the main problem is its running bt after few seconds only sounds are playing but the video stuck like a still picture ... <so this is the main problem .. how can i fix it ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome visitor from Bangladesh! If you can post the file somewhere it can be download I will attempt to repair the file for you.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thnx brother , greetings from Bangladesh , between where i can send that two video files ? have u fb account or any email account .. i can send it there ..
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi people

I have similar problem.A was recording music with my phone Nokia N97, then my battery shut down.
    The file was saved but i can't play it.Anyone pls help.
    I can post it to you.
    it's mp4 file, only music.no video

thanks
    Quote Quote