VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone used this software, where your captured videos are captured COMPLETELY? I always have trouble, where the resulting video plays back a second or two late. Anyone know a fix to capture the WHOLE video, where there's no tardiness?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. My experience with Orbit is all-or-nothing. Either it gets the whole video or it gets nothing at all.

Try changing the number of connections to 1. Orbit defaults to using several connections to download a video. Some servers don't like that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am pulling my hair out. i have searched through google, and nobody else has this problem. i don't understand it! I set the connections to 1, like you said, but when the video comes up, the damn "create new download" window takes like 5 seconds to come up. In the preferences, it has a box to tick that states "start recording the video when the 'create new download' window is shown." how can i download when the damn window takes 5 seconds to be shown? i don't understand why it takes so long! i have no spyware or anything on the damn computer. it always shaves the first 2 seconds from the video. i wonder if this is a curse. LOLOLOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    how can i download when the damn window takes 5 seconds to be shown?
    Try actually noticing how well the download matches the live feed. It appears to me that you haven't noticed that your getting the whole thing from the start.

It doesn't matter how long the delay is. Its NOT capturing the screen. Its downloading the whole file. Every time. Well every time it can figure out the URL. If it doesn't get the URL there will be no flv file.

As jagabo says it's all or nothing. Unless you loose your connection and even then you don't loose the start you loose the end.

I agree on the one connection idea. Some sites will cut you off if you use more.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    a download was interrupted from you tube because my net connection went off. orbit continued from where it had stopped and finished the download. its resume feature seems to work with you tube.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby
    i am pulling my hair out. i have searched through google, and nobody else has this problem. i don't understand it! I set the connections to 1, like you said, but when the video comes up, the damn "create new download" window takes like 5 seconds to come up. In the preferences, it has a box to tick that states "start recording the video when the 'create new download' window is shown." how can i download when the damn window takes 5 seconds to be shown? i don't understand why it takes so long! i have no spyware or anything on the damn computer. it always shaves the first 2 seconds from the video. i wonder if this is a curse. LOLOLOL
    You're not entirely alone: I've tried to download a couple videos from Atom Films, and could not snag the very beginning of them, including the opening credits -- amounting to a few seconds of the running time, I believe. I've not been using Orbit for that long, but learned early on to have Grab ++ up and running before going to the site. However, some sites don't wait for you to click; Atom seems to start playing the video immediately, once you reach the right page. (Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.) In situations like that, I just can't seem to be quick enough on the draw with getting Orbit to grab it. You still have to check a box to indicate 'Go Get This One'. And that's got to take fractional seconds, no matter how you slice it. Human reaction time, no spyware slowdowns required.

Sometimes I find that I can check the box and still get the whole thing, even though part of it has played already . . . but that seems to be kind of a hit or miss thing. And maybe forget about doing that with sites like Atom Films. (They also set some kind of site flag showing you already downloaded this video, and won't let you try again !)

I don't know if it would be worth their coding for just this scenario, but it might be useful if there was an option in Grab ++ (the module that is like Orbit's "fishing net") for it to grab any -- fill in the blank with __.swf, or __.flv, or __.AVI -- that shows up as soon as you hit the webpage, without waiting for any user input. A bit clumsy and heavy handed, but then you could sift through the haul to find what you wanted, afterwards. If you knew the exact name in advance -- the way Orbit was going to see it -- you could pre-set this much more specifically. But in many cases it may have a default name like "Unknown" or "Get_video.flv".

Still, I find Orbit to be rather nifty. At least, it lets me get a whole lot of things I never could before. If it could grab QuickTime and RealMedia videos (which seem to be invisible to it now ?), I think it might cross the border into awesome.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Seeker47
    I've tried to download a couple videos from Atom Films, and could not snag the very beginning of them, including the opening credits
    Once you get the URL with Grab++ shut down the browser (it might be enough to just go to a different page). Then start the download with Orbit. You'll get the whole file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    I've tried to download a couple videos from Atom Films, and could not snag the very beginning of them, including the opening credits
    Once you get the URL with Grab++ shut down the browser (it might be enough to just go to a different page). Then start the download with Orbit. You'll get the whole file.
    Thanx. I'll try that. Any ideas on clearing that site flag -- or whatever it is -- that doesn't seem to want to let you try again ? (Clearing the cache and relevant cookies did not seem to do it for me . . . . )
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't have that problem. When the ad started playing I would clear the Grab++ screen to make it easier to spot the real video and then click and download when it appeared. That got it all IF I didn't wait.

So I tried waiting longer. Tried about a minute. That made the download unplayable in KMP player. Hate that the way it locks up. It's stubborn about shutting down. Anyway all I had to do was to right click on the file in Orbit and choose Restart Download. That gets the whole thing. Did that on the two that I had got all of the first time and the two that I deliberately waited on. Those were the two that locked up. Got all I tried that on.

Nice site. Thanks for that.

Any ideas on clearing that site flag
    Didn't have that problem. The videos I tried all played again. I am using Firefox with the No Script plug in. I only enabled scripting for atomfilms.com it might be one of the other two domains that I left blocked that is causing that problem. I thoroughly recommend using Firefox WITH No Scipt. It make the Web much safer. I do have to remember to allow scripting on the sites I go to. Sometimes all I see is a blank site to start with. You can chose to allow a site temporary permissions or permanent.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to Ethlred and everyone trying to help out. I followed Ethlred's suggestion of right-clicking in Orbit, and then clicking on "restart download." It got the whole video i've been trying to download the last few days! Amazing! I am going to write the makers of Orbit Downloader and tell them that they should fix things.

Anyway, thanks again to all!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ethlred
    I didn't have that problem. When the ad started playing I would clear the Grab++ screen to make it easier to spot the real video and then click and download when it appeared. That got it all IF I didn't wait.

Nice site. Thanks for that.
    YouTube may tower over the others and dominate the field now, but people forget that sites like AtomFilms and IFilm preceded it by several years. The sheer volume of stuff that comes to YT can also make it hard to find what you wanted, or to separate out the inevitable 10 % worth of good material vs. the 90 % of CRAP. And YT is all FLV, isnt it (?) . . . and not particularly good looking or sounding FLV either, much of the time. I'm pretty sure you can find other formats as well, on the sites I mentioned. [EDIT: Whoops-- looks like IFilm went to s**t, taken over by SPIKE. (If that's Spike as in the Spike cable channel, it would explain a lot.) Guess it's been too long since I visited that site !] Anyway, I hope ATOM sticks around. They have some things that were professionally shot or created, and it shows.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snafubaby
    Thanks to Ethlred and everyone trying to help out. I followed Ethlred's suggestion of right-clicking in Orbit, and then clicking on "restart download." It got the whole video i've been trying to download the last few days! Amazing! I am going to write the makers of Orbit Downloader and tell them that they should fix things.

Anyway, thanks again to all!
    I spoke too soon, i guess. While i downloaded one video with the method of restarting the video, it doesn't work with all videos, or all websites. Sometimes, i think that the video sites have a protection scheme going. I don't understand it, but i guess it works. On some sites, you can't do the restart download method, or it will just say that there was a timeout error.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I spoke too soon, i guess. While i downloaded one video with the method of restarting the video, it doesn't work with all videos, or all websites. Sometimes, i think that the video sites have a protection scheme going. I don't understand it, but i guess it works. On some sites, you can't do the restart download method, or it will just say that there was a timeout error.[/quote]

Well, i did a virus check, and found a trojan. surprise surprise! wiped out the trojan, and now, for some reason, i can get the WHOLE video on the first try, without having to do the restart thing. Did it twice, on two different videos, so far! Amazing, isn't it?

So if anyone out there has problems downloading with video downloader, do a virus check. I did Kaspersky's online scan.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by snafubaby
    Sometimes, i think that the video sites have a protection scheme going. I don't understand it, but i guess it works.
    Of course they do. That's what this whole thing is about. They want to control what you watch and when.
    Quote Quote