VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,
    I am new around here. I hope that I am posting this in the right place.
    I live in the US and I am planning on buying a multi-region DVD player that can play NTSC and PAL movies, and that also does the 720p / 1080i upconversion.
    I was actually looking into getting the Philips 5960. It seems to be the best and most affordable option. Does anybody have any other suggestions?
    Also, can anyone recommend a place where to buy it?
    Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. OPPO 980( www.oppodigital.com ) or Philips 5982(Best Buy,Walmart,Amazon,etc).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    I just went to amazon.com, and it seems that there are two versions of the Philips 5982. One for $69.99 and the other one for $78.99.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Phi...5982&x=11&y=21

The description of the cheaper one does not include any info about NTSC and PAL.
    Are there really two versions of this player? Or is the expensive one the same one, but with the region code hack already entered?
    I doubt there are two version of the same player.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  4. The more expensive one is from another vendor,same player though.
    The 5982 plays PAL and NTSC,it can also be made region-free:
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dvdplayer=5982&hits=50&Search=Search

Tip:when playing PAL DVD's make sure to set output to NTSC not Auto.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again!
    By the way, just out of curiosity: what the difference between the Philips 5960 and the 5982? Is the 5960 no longer made?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jtrinc
    Thanks again!
    By the way, just out of curiosity: what the difference between the Philips 5960 and the 5982? Is the 5960 no longer made?
    Yes the 5960 is discontinued,the 5982 outputs 1080p and has a USB 2.0 port to play files.
    CircuitCity.com has the 5982 on sale and I just bought one.I was thinking of buying a OPPO 980 but this has the same features for alot less.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much for the Circuit City hint!
    I just bought one for only $52.99! AWESOME!!!
    It even had free shipping, so it was a no brainer.
    Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it today and it works great. I used the code included in the hack section and it plays my region 2 DVDs without any problems.
    You mentioned that when playing PAL DVD's I should make sure to set output to NTSC not Auto. But it wasn't necesary to do anything. It just plays anything, whichs is awesome.
    By the way, does this player play DTS audio tracks?
    It is no big deal, but I didn't see anything about it anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jtrinc
    I got it today and it works great. I used the code included in the hack section and it plays my region 2 DVDs without any problems.
    You mentioned that when playing PAL DVD's I should make sure to set output to NTSC not Auto. But it wasn't necesary to do anything. It just plays anything, whichs is awesome.
    By the way, does this player play DTS audio tracks?
    It is no big deal, but I didn't see anything about it anywhere.
    No onboard DTS decoder but you can use HDMI and have your receiver decode it.
    BTW:I have been reading on the AVS forums and people say don't update the firmware unless it's absolutely necessary,too many people are bricking their players.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right. That's cool. Thanks again for your help and enjoy your DVD player!
    Quote Quote