VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've had this burner for a while but have only burned discs. I've recently discovered that audio on DVDs and CDs playback will stutter to the point that I can't play the disc. I can rip the disc to the HD and the files play back fine. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What brands of dvd and cd discs are you using? What software are you using to burn them with? Cheap dvd media will cause playback problems. Are the playback problems from using a standalone dvd player or just from your 115 drive?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, budz; sorry for the lack of info.

I'm attempting to play commercial DVDs and CDs on my 115D. It's occurring on the few I've tried - all in flawless condition. I'm perplexed. Playback in my workhorse LG-D521 that I've burned 1000s of discs on plays discs back fine. Playback of these same discs in my E80H is also fine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just tried a retail DVD on my 115 and it played fine. I only played a couple of minutes. Maybe your processor is too slow or you don't have enough memory.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the firmware of your 115? You can use cd/dvd speed, discinfo and within imgburn you can find out the firmware of your 115. If you have any warranty left on your 115 then contact Pioneer to RMA it. But if you've used hacked firmware on it I'm not sure if Pioneer will check that. I know in the past they have checked firmwares when drives are RMA'd.

Do you have powerdvd installed or anydvd?

IMHO if a drive fails a flash using hacked firmware then it should not be returned for a RMA, a new drive should be bought. Just my 2 cents on that! :wink:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check that it is connected with an 80 wire cable and is listed in ultra dma mode in device manager.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have 2 gigs of memory and a Pentium 4 processor. I'm sure a lot of 115 play fine, not this one. I'm using PowerDVD, no hacked firmware and I've had it for about three months. I've had no reason to hack it and don't even know what the benefits of hacking it are.

Where can I d/l the latest firmware? Thanks for the help!

It has an 80 wire. I know that for a fact because they sent a 40 and I had to buy an 80. Ultra DMA?
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK, the secondary channel says PIO. It won't change.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pioneer's prefer to be master, not slave. the pioneer firmware page.

http://wwwbsc.pioneer.co.jp/product-e/ibs/device_e/dev00001r_e.html
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  11. The easiest thing to do would be to just swap drives and make the 115 the master and whatever else you've got the slave.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'll try everything here. How do i make it the Master? Swap on the cable, re-configure the jumper - both?

I'm selecting 'DMA if available' but it's staying on PIO mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    swap the jumper....set jumper to master....then use the primary ide cable connection...not the secondary....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Whistles "If I only had a brain..."

Thanks anyway, guys, I appreciate your time. Good night.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Don't forget to set the jumper on the other drive to slave.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a sound card or onboard sound? I once got such poor sound with music CDs from onboard sound that I got a sound card which fixed the poor sound issues.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have verified that my Pioneer is set to Master and the D521 is set to slave. The Pioneer is on the end of the cable while the Panasonic is connected to the other connector. It is an 80 wire connector.

Anything else I should try?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Captain Satellite
    I have verified that my Pioneer is set to Master and the D521 is set to slave. The Pioneer is on the end of the cable while the Panasonic is connected to the other connector. It is an 80 wire connector.

Anything else I should try?
    Are you sure the jumper in the back of the 115 is set to MASTER? I've had 80 wire ide cables go bad before. Buy a new 80 wire ide cable for your drive just to make sure it's not the cable that is causing your problem. Also try hooking up only the 115 instead of having the Panasonic connected to the other connector. Using a flat ribbon 80 wire ide cable is the best to use.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I bought a new cable when I installed the drive a couple of months back. There's a sticker that shows which position is Master, I have it there. I'm going to try just the Pioneer, I'll report back. Thanks, budz.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've seen a few people in other forums with defective 115 drives. Yours may just have a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by samijubal
    I've seen a few people in other forums with defective 115 drives. Yours may just have a problem.
    Sure enough, there's nothing left to try that I can see. This is as long as I'll spend on a 29.00 product, I guess I'll give them a call.

Thanks for the help everybody.

The thing that cracks me up is that I swapped a working drive out for this because it burned faster. If it ain't broke...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought a new cable when I installed the drive a couple of months back. There's a sticker that shows which position is Master, I have it there. I'm going to try just the Pioneer, I'll report back. Thanks, budz.
    80 wire ide cables can fail.....IMHO buying another 80 wire ide cable is easier than going through the hassles of trying to contact PIONEER directly...Because they're going to ask if you've tried a new ide cable anyway.... :wink:
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by budz
    I bought a new cable when I installed the drive a couple of months back. There's a sticker that shows which position is Master, I have it there. I'm going to try just the Pioneer, I'll report back. Thanks, budz.
    80 wire ide cables can fail.....IMHO buying another 80 wire ide cable is easier than going through the hassles of trying to contact PIONEER directly...Because they're going to ask if you've tried a new ide cable anyway.... :wink:
    Will do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which powerdvd version is used?

How does VLC work?
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by [_chef_
    ]Which powerdvd version is used?

How does VLC work?
    DVD6, the same version I'm using to play discs on the other drive that works fine. VLC does the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by budz
    It sure enough was a bad cable! 'The Cars on Musikladen' are sounding mighty fine - thanks budz and all for the suggestions!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    It sure enough was a bad cable! 'The Cars on Musikladen' are sounding mighty fine - thanks budz and all for the suggestions!
    Your welx! Glad to hear the 115 drive is working correctly now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fine.
    Quote Quote