VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My camera captures in an mp4 format that is unreadable by final cut pro. These clips are in 720p. I have played around with visualhub, ffmpegx, and mpeg streamclip trying to find the best setting.

Converting to DV downscales the video, but is fairly quick.
    Converting to xvid diminshes the quality, but is failry quick.
    Converting to quicktime takes forever and produces enormous files.
    Converting to mpeg2 or mpeg4 with h.264 works okay, but FCP has a hard time handling these files quickly (ie I can't even use the jog dial)

So which is it? What would you do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would start by telling us what the camera is, as there may be other options at the camera end that may help you.

What compression do you use in your quicktime files ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FCP supports HDV but somewhere down the line you'll probably have to convert to Apple Intermediate Format. Check the Apple Support Discussions.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure what type of camera it is, but it doesn't offer any other formats. Even if it did, I need to work with the footage I have now and can't exactly re-record it.

Our main camera is a Sony HDR-FX1 - and it has worked beautifully. No problems there. We had to use this other little handheld thing in a pinch as our B Cam.

The compression I used in mpeg streamclip is called "Apple Motion JPEG A." I tried a few others (there's a whole slew of them in the drop down menu), but this seemed to be the fastest. Even so, it took about 12 hours to convert a 20 minute clip and it ended up being 20x the size of the original.

What is the apple intermediate format? I tried searching around a bit to find out more, but wasn't able to come up with anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam1am
    I'm not sure what type of camera it is, but it doesn't offer any other formats. Even if it did, I need to work with the footage I have now and can't exactly re-record it.

Our main camera is a Sony HDR-FX1 - and it has worked beautifully. No problems there. We had to use this other little handheld thing in a pinch as our B Cam.

The compression I used in mpeg streamclip is called "Apple Motion JPEG A." I tried a few others (there's a whole slew of them in the drop down menu), but this seemed to be the fastest. Even so, it took about 12 hours to convert a 20 minute clip and it ended up being 20x the size of the original.

What is the apple intermediate format? I tried searching around a bit to find out more, but wasn't able to come up with anything.
    You should junk your "B" cam and replace with a FCP compatible model. Used HC1,3,5 or Canon HV20 are now under $500 on Craigslist or ebay if you bid with skill.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree, but right now I have the footage that I have and I need to work with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam1am
    I agree, but right now I have the footage that I have and I need to work with it.
    Have you yet provided ID for camcorder in question? Do you have a PC for utilities?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm guessing the cam is a Sanyo Xacti. Been tempted, but worry about the editing tweaks required.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I support rumplestiltskin's observation above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by growingemily View Post
    As we know, Final Cut Pro is a non-linear and non-destructive editing software application, it can only import non-destructive video format including DV, HDV, P2 MXF (DVCProHD), XDCAM, and 2K film formats. Nevertheless, the widely used MP4 is lossy format, which is a final delivery file type and is heavily compressed. In order to successfully import MP4 to Final Cut Pro, we have to convert the lossy MP4 to non-destructive format like DV which is compatible with FCP.

just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Convert MP4 to DV so as to Import MP4 into FCP/FCE

you will find a powerful converter and a step by step guide on how to convert and import mp4 to fcp

hope it also helps for you
    What a surprise - a completely misleading answer that takes you to a second rate software site.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    growingemily is no longer among us. Banned.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Back up and sort out your priorities.

You're trying to edit, right? And you're using FCP (on a Mac, of course). So, unless you can Dualboot or VM, your choices are somewhat limited.

Do you want QUALITY? If so, you should be less concerned with "BIG FILE SIZES". Save to Apple Intermediate Format, ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform or some other nearly-lossless, or lossless, or uncompressed format. If you were doing SD, you could do DV, DVCPro50, or MJPEG, but it's clear from your 1st post that you would be "downscaling" so you must be starting with HD material and it would be a shame to downscale it prior to getting to your final master. The time for downscaling is as a special output for SD viewing.

Would sure help if you told us the model you're using...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Would sure help if you told us the model you're using..."
    +1

Drop the file onto something like VideoSpec and post the results here so we can know the formats of the video and audio. Then we can work from a position of knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  14. MP4 is a final delivery lossy video format which is not suitable for editing in non-destructive video editing software like Final Cut Pro.

Apple ProRes is an ideal format for Final Cut Pro.

I use iDealshare VideoGo which can easily convert all kinds of MP4 videos to FCP, FCP X, FCE supported Apple ProRes, MOV or DV.

Besides converting MP4 to FCP format, iDealshare VideoGo also helps to convert other video formats like MOV, WMV, AVI, MKV, VOB, AVCHD, MXF, MOD, TOD, RMVB, 3GP, FLV, ASF, SWF and etc to Final Cut Pro supported video format.

Just google search Step by Step Guide to Convert MP4 to Final Cut Pro with iDealshare VideoGo, you will find a detailed guide.
    Quote Quote