VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I always use DVD Decrypter 3.5.4 to burn my DVDs and rip my DVDs. I usually use ISO Read mode to rip them, but I have heard there are advantages to using File mode. What are these advantages and do I have to change anything in the settings (I always just use the default settings)? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't change what you are doing. I'm going speculate here.

Possible advantage of file mode open - If a disc error causes a VOB you don't really care about anyway to fail to copy, you can skip around it and then use something like VOBBlanker to get rid of it. Ripping in ISO mode is "all or nothing".

Possible disadvantage of ripping in file mode - It's best to have 32k gaps between BUPs and IFOs. If you rip in file mode, you have to recreate this by hand. See a discussion of why this is important and how to do it here:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm
    Ripping in ISO mode should in theory preserve this gap, assuming that the original DVD was created with such. It should have been, but nobody seems to know how to check prior to ripping. I've asked about it before to know if there is a way to check on this and nobody ever replied with a way to do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are advantages as to what you can do with the files.. for example, you can play DVDs from your HDD through Vista Media Center or with PowerDVD, whereas you can't with an .iso. also if you intend to manipulate the files with other software, you typically need the actual 'files' (.VOB and .IFO files) rather than an .iso
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    there are advantages as to what you can do with the files.. for example, you can play DVDs from your HDD through Vista Media Center or with PowerDVD, whereas you can't with an .iso. also if you intend to manipulate the files with other software, you typically need the actual 'files' (.VOB and .IFO files) rather than an .iso
    You can play ISO files directly with VLC. You can also play ISO files with any video player that can play DVDs by mounting the ISO with Daemon Tools or Nero Drive Image. Using a HTPC, like Meedio, you can have it automatically mount ISO video files and play them with your favorite video player.

Thanks,
    jawgee
    Quote Quote  
  5. ISO rip can only do 1:1 disc copy. File mode can do everything else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    ISO rip can only do 1:1 disc copy. File mode can do everything else.
    Yeah, I didn't think about that. No shrinking or eliminating unwanted parts of the DVD (ie. foreign language soundtracks, extras, etc.) if you have an ISO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    although DVDShrink DOES in fact let you open an .iso directly for editing, but many other software doesn't
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you rip a problem DVD in ISO mode and there is a problem with the rip, you need to begin all over again. In file mode, the problem may just be in part of 1 vob and you can see where it is. Then you can just work with that vob using a number of extraction programs. Also, lots of times when DVD Decrypter is working with 1 file, it seems to extract better.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite a few programs don't read from ISO files, so you have to mount them to get to the content.

As for the 32kb gap - if you burn with Imgburn (DVD Decrypter's younger but smarter brother) it will put these in place for you, so file mode isn't so bad any more.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys! I'll keep using ISO mode because all these DVDs I'm backing up are DVD-5's so I don't need to edit them.
    Quote Quote