VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've been using vdubmod for a long time now to open divx/avi's, cut out some parts and then export it using direct stream copy feature. But every now and again, it has problems with audio, certain formats, and recently I've been wanting to use something like this feature of vdub with other video formats.
    But there's so much info out there, mostly old, and it gets a bit confusing.

So what I really would like to know, is simply, with the most up-to-date software out there, paid or free, which ones do exactly like direct stream copy feature of vdub for the following formats (forgive me if some are just containers etc, as I don't know much about how they are made) ?

AVI - tried vdub, any better?

Divx, xvid - same as AVI

MPEG/MPEG2 - tried mpegvidwizard dvd, and vredo, any better?

MP4

xh26

WMV

MOV

FLV

Thanks, any info greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. The newer versions of VirtualDub support input plugins so it can open a lot more containers like MPG, MP4, WMV, etc. Output is still limited to AVI. And there's no direct stream copy from non-AVI sources. Input plugins:

http://forums.virtualdub.org/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=12664&s=45c27a76cb3b999a09a214a28142a4a9
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bigMach™

MPEG/MPEG2 - tried mpegvidwizard dvd, and vredo, any better?
    Some of us think that both of those are pretty good (actually I use MPEGVCR which is by the MPEGVidwizard people and I also have VideoReDo), so I can't imagine what would meet your needs if those don't. To be blunt, I think you're nuts if you actually prefer to edit in VirtualDubMod, but to each his own I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ofcourse I don't want to edit in vdub, that's why I'm asking what programs are out there for each of the formats I've listed above. I only use the direct stream copy in vdub for avi, divx etc, only for cutting out footage, the same with videoredo for mpeg2.
    Will check avidemux (just for avi, and better than vdub?), but I still would like to know what can be used for all the other formats.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. AviDemux accepts and outputs AVI, MPEG PS, MPEG TS, MP4, OGM, FLV, MKV, and others. Not all of them perfectly though. The equivalent of VirtualDub's Direct Stream Copy and simple cut editing is available for all, or at least most.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And for several of the formats it has smart rendering, so you aren't limited to I frames, unlike vdubmod
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux accepts and outputs AVI, MPEG PS,
    I bought a Hauppauge HVR 1800 MC a week ago that captures MPEG PS and AviDemux wouldn't open any of the captures. Maybe it's just Hauppauge MPEG PS captures since almost all the programs that I used to try and convert them crashed when trying to open them.

I had to use a program called ProjectX to convert the PS files to TS files which I then opened in Virtualdub. I didn't check to see if AviDemux would open the TS files (which I'm sure it probably will) since Virtualdub is my editor of choice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used avidemux to cut some footage from a MPEG4 H264 file, and chose, copy-copy-mp4, for the output. But whenever I skip through the video with any media player, it pauses for a sec or two, and then plays.

I know its free, but if there's any paid software that does a better job, I'd like to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DarrellS
    I bought a Hauppauge HVR 1800 MC a week ago that captures MPEG PS and AviDemux wouldn't open any of the captures. Maybe it's just Hauppauge MPEG PS captures since almost all the programs that I used to try and convert them crashed when trying to open them.
    Maybe you just need a newer version of AviDemux. I have an HVR-1250 that produces the same (?) MPEG PS files. AviDemux 2.4.1 (r3791), which I downloaded recently, has no problems with the files, HD or SD.

It does crash when opening h.264/aac MPEG4 TS files from the Hauppauge HD PVR.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That is the version I am using. If I check yes to index the file, it crashes with a fatal error message and if I click no, it says it can't open the file.

EDIT: The only program that I found to convert these files is called ProjectX. I tried TsRemux which converted PS to TS and M2TS but I couldn't open the TS files in Virtualdub. With ProjectX, I can create TS files that Virtualdub will open.

EDIT: Now I can get Virtualdub (the new version 1.8.1 rc2) to open the TS files from TsRemux but AviDemux won't open the PS files or the TS files created from either program.
    Quote Quote