VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To be more specific, I have 2 subtitle files, one is English subs, the other is Chinese subs.
    I want to be able to combine both these subtitles into one sub file, with the timeline lined up as well. I've downloaded a couple different programs (subtitle workshop for one). Can someone point me in the right directly as to how to do this? Thanks in advance for any help, truly appreciate it!

For example:

Sub1 English: 02:22:03 Hi Everyone
    Sub2 Chinese: 02:22:03 Da Jia Ni Hao

I want to combine/merge/join/whatever them into one file

Sub3 Both: 02:22:03 -Hi Everyone
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . -Da Jia Ni Hao
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of Chinese? If it's Pinyin, as your example, that wouldn't be too hard.

First we assume that the times are the same.

If so, use Subtitle Workshop to convert both files to SUB (MicroDVD) format.
    (This is because this format puts each time (in frames) and subtitle text on a single line, using the | to represent linebreaks in the subtitle.)

Looks like this:
    Code:
    {1}{1}23.976
    {0}{67}line 1|line 2
    {100}{200}line3
    (Line 1 is special, the frame rate)

Open each as a text file, use search and replace to insert a TAB after the time code (the last })
    Now copy all the text, paste in to Excel.
    col 1 will be the time codes, col 2 the text.

Do the same to the Chinese. Paste the text into col 3 and 4

Hopefully, cols 1 and 3 (the time codes) should be the same.

If so, delete text in col 3.
    Paste a | in every cell in col 3 (a linebreak char).
    Now copy all and paste back in your text editor.
    Delete the TABS.
    Make sure the first line is still the correct frame rate.
    Save as a new .sub file.

Should be able to load this in Subtitle Workshop and see top lines of sub as English, and below that Chinese. You can now convert to another format (eg SRT) if you want.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the timecodes and number of subtitles for both languages fit together, you can convert both separately to sup subtitles (with srt2sup or similar) and use supviewer to combine both into one single sup file. This gives you the possibility to have more than 1 line of text in both languages (usually only tree lines in total are accepted) and have one language as 'toptitle' and the other as subtitle. If your authoring program allows it, you can have all three possibilities to show the subs: English or Chinese or both together (using all three sup files).
    Quote Quote