VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Currently whenever I buy a DVD, I rip it to an ISO image for backup as I've seen some of my DVDs go bad. Still, these are 4+ gig in size. Is there a way to compress them (losslessly) so that they can take up less space? I'm running out of room on my NAS. PKzip gives a slight compression, but I was wondering if there's anything else out there that can do better. Again, I'm not looking to compress a la DVDShrink or such in order to view more video on a DVD. I'm looking to compress the ISO images so that they take up less room and so I can uncompress if I need to restore the DVD. Thanx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Not that I know of for true "lossless" compression. You would have to reencode them to a high bitrate h264 or divx to get any benefit. Zipping them won't really help either.

With harddrive storage increasing and prices dropping all the time why don't you look into investing in a larger harddrive? That way you can save more without any compression. The investment will be paid back in time saved in reencoding or any other compression method.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Think about it. Would "they" go to the expense of 8+GB dual layer pressings if they could do it in single layer with equal quality?

The issue is how much loss and what functionality (like standalone DVD player support) you will compromise.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tonyaldr
    I'm looking to compress the ISO images so that they take up less room and so I can uncompress if I need to restore the DVD. Thanx!
    www.poweriso.com/ PowerISO will compress the iso images somewhat...maybe not as much compression as you'd like, but you can choose to split the file in a few different ways...
    just a thought

mastersmurfie
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx, guys. I'll check out poweriso to see if that helps.
    Quote Quote