VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just built a new a new Quad computer and after about month the monitor screen started to go black. It would work anywhere between 30 minutes and one hour and then suddenly the monitor would go out. Since this was a new build and my Samsung 245 bw worked flawlessly on my old computer, I assumed the problem was with in my new build. After many hours of trouble shooting my attention turned to the monitor. Surely it wasn't my Samsung 245bw...since it was less than 6 months old and I never had a problem with any computer monitor in over 20 years. Also, the monitor got rave reviews from everyone. I traded monitors with my girlfriend and sure enough her computer screen went black in about 30 minutes. It seems the monitor was overheating, then shutting down. I bought the monitor at Sam's, so they just exchanged it. The moral of this story is never assume anything.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your anecdote also reminds us to go through a process of elimination when diagnosing a technical problem. Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Isolate and Identify, baby, Isolate and Identify.

There's also "Do the least labor-intensive tests first." Everything breaks.

The real important diagnostic info is what you left out. The PC did NOT shut down or reboot, this does not eliminate a PC problem, but either one of those Would have eliminated the monitor.
    Quote Quote