VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi
    i have 750gb hdd devided to C (system)50gb and D (data)700gb partitions
    i am about to buy new 1TB hdd and would like to make 1:1 copy of everything from 750gb to 1TB hdd and swap up those hdds?
    how can i do it easily with some software for beginner...? please recommend freeware if possible.
    can i do it from windows or not?
    thanks for replies
    Quote Quote  
  2. The drive manufacturer will supply a free transfer software. Just visit their website....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i have seagate hdds so what software did you mean?
    is it on seagate website as freeware?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you bought a retail version of the drive, it came with a software CD containing DiscWizard. This is a utility based on Acronis True Image. If you need to download the software, try the following link:

DiscWizard Download page[/url]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or you can try xxclone - it's free and it's worked for me on multiple systems

http://www.xxclone.com/
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  6. Assuming you use the manufacturer's free tool:

Make certain you set up the new hard drive as new *boot* drive. Simple copy won't do. Also specify custom partition, the first partition you add will (should) be the one on which the OS partition is copied. Add however many more you wish. Let the program do its thing. When it's done, do a copy of the data partition to the new one. Simple. :wink: Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just my own opinion, but I wouldn't use a 1TB drive for a boot drive. The OS is constantly accessing the boot drive and this can slow access for other programs that transfer large files, such as video. Using partitions has no effect on this. I prefer a small boot drive and one or two extra hard drives for exclusive video use and just single partitions for all drives. But in the case of very large drives, partitions may be a good idea, mostly for speeding up defragging.
    Quote Quote