VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Having noticed the picture has distortion if using a 16x disc to burn a DVD, but, 8 x discs is fine. If I set the burning speed at 8x, will the result be the exactly same as if I used 8x disc or they still have the difference in the burning quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What brand disc, burner and what burning and authoring software are you using? Most times the burning speed has little bearing on the quality, if your burner has the proper burning strategy for the media you are using.

What kind of 'distortion'? A bad burn will more often give you dropouts or skips, not distortion.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Usually slowing the write speed lowers the amount of errors,I burn at 8x on 16x media and get great results.As redwudz mentioned it depends on the burners write strategy and the media you are using.I would rather wait a few extra minutes than have a coaster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unlike MOVIEGEEK, I do not reduce the speed that dramatically, but I do reduce the speed. A few years ago when 8x was the max, I read on this site that burning at 6x might help out with problem disks. So, thats what I did. And amazingly no more coasters regardless of the brand of disk. For the last few years with my Plextor Px 800A, I always burn everything at 12x. For the last 3 or 4 years, I've bought all my 16x disks at the local Staples and I buy whatever is on sale (Playo,Staples, or Memorex). Prices have run from $ 4 to $12 per 50 pk. And honestly, I have had only 2 coasters in all that time and the 2 coasters I did have were the result of actual voids on the disk.

Now maybe I might have similar results burning at 16x but 12x has given me hundreds of burns without a problem.

Finally, maybe my luck with burns might simply be because I haven't used Nero to burn disks in years. Like many others, I use IMGBurn. So, whatever the reason for it, I am thankful.

Tony
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whether does setting a slow burning speed have an effect on the picture quality? I have not tested it yet. But, I have seen several posts saying the ImgBurn is better than Nero. I have ever asked the ImgBurn whether the ImgBurn can result in better picture quality than Nero. They answered “No.” So I do not know why some people keep saying the ImgBurn can result in the better picture quality than Nero. The ImgBurn is just a copy tool. It has nothing to do with the picture quality, right? I ever tested by copy the same DVD. If Nero has the picture distortion, the ImgBurn will have too. No difference. Can anyone explain it? I am talking about the picture quality only.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any difference with burning a quality 16X disc at 16X or at 12X. But both are likely within the firmware burning strategy for the disc. Burning them at 1X or at 20X would not likely be.

It seems the best advice would be to burn one step slower if you think it might make a difference, IE, 16X at 12X speed. The increase in time is not much and it may help with some brands of discs. I also use quality discs, usually TY, so I haven't had a coaster in a long, long time.

Quality is a bit harder to define. A disc can have great quality video, but still skip and lock up. Perhaps a better word to use is errors, where a good disc is error free, irregardless of the video quality, which is more a product of the encoding process and the quality of the original file.

JMO, BTW.
    Quote Quote