VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We have PS3s that we use for our DVD viewing. With some quick research and asking of friends I discovered I cannot play PAL, Region 2 DVDs on the PS3.

If I buy one of these DVD players, Phillips DVP 5980 or Phillips DVP 5960, can I play PAL, Region 2 DVD's on my TVs? I think I can but is there something special I need to do with the remote? What do I need to know? I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and have very little tech knowledge. I want to buy one of these players but am unsure which one would be best. I'd prefer the least expensive if it would do the trick.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_ce/203-2982155-0201517?url=search-alias%3Delectron...VP5982&x=0&y=0

We have a Toshiba TV (42” Diagonal REGZA™ 1080P LCD) and a Sony TV (50" 3LCD Rear Projection HD).

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should note that my husband does have tech knowledge and can hook it up, but we would like to know the easiest way to go about it. I'm itching to order a DVD player since I have some TV series that are not available here to watch. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No reason to buy a player from the UK. Order the 5960 or the 5982 from Amazon in US. When you receive the player, go to the DVD Hacks section of this website and enter in the model number. Then just follow the simple instructions on how to make the player region free by entering in a code via the remote.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    RowMan is correct. Additionally, please note that on whatever DVD player you buy, the video output default value is something like "Multi" or "Auto". You absolutely MUST change this to "NTSC" before you attempt to play a region 2 DVD (assuming you have already unlocked the player to play all region DVDs) or you won't be able to watch it. You'll just get black and white video that constantly scrolls and is unwatchable.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Circuit City and Best Buy sell the 5982 for $60.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much. I'm glad to know I can buy a player here.

Thanks again for the information. We will take these steps.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greets,

First off I would not buy one of the UK players since you live here in the States. They work on 50Hz 220 Volts over there compared to our 60Hz 110 Volts. You would need to buy a special voltage adapter / converter and I hear from people who travel to Europe that they are pricey.

I would follow the advice of others here that are saying which dvd players are capable of playing both PAL and NTSC. Unless you wish to rip the dvd's onto computer, resize them to 720x480, use DGPulldown 3:2 on them, reauthor and burn to disc, hehe.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
  8. Also consider the Philps DVP-5990, the newest version in the series which seems to have fixed a lot of the shortcomings of the 5960 and 5982.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic351069.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good point about the UK DVD players. I didn't think of that. I'll buy a US model.

This information has been very helpful.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RickA
    Greets,

First off I would not buy one of the UK players since you live here in the States. They work on 50Hz 220 Volts over there compared to our 60Hz 110 Volts. You would need to buy a special voltage adapter / converter and I hear from people who travel to Europe that they are pricey.
    In the interest of accuracy, most hardware sold in Europe has dual-voltage power supplies, so no special converters are needed. Hardware sold in the USA generally has a cheaper single-voltage power supply which does require a converter to work in Europe. The reason for this is that there are 110 and 220 volt countries scattered around Europe and Asia, so it's cheaper to use the dual-volt hardware in region-2 players.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks CDan - I did not know that a good deal of European things can be dual-voltage. I've mostly heard of people asking about buying expensive converters for their USA electric shavers / hairdryers / whatever and hearing it would be cheaper to just buy an inexpensive one overseas to use while they are there. Plus my info on that is some years old.

I was also wondering if the PAL dvd player from Europe would output only PAL or be able to output the (possibly) needed NTSC here for Lori's TV. After closer inspection of her link it does look like they can. Sounds like Europe has better options for more flexible gear than we do in the States.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Rene: Could you not just wound him a little bit?
    Hans: Well now, with a 25 pound shell that is not easy.

'Allo 'Allo
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More helpful advice. Thanks guys. We're coming down to a decision.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RickA
    Thanks CDan - I did not know that a good deal of European things can be dual-voltage. I've mostly heard of people asking about buying expensive converters for their USA electric shavers / hairdryers / whatever and hearing it would be cheaper to just buy an inexpensive one overseas to use while they are there. Plus my info on that is some years old.

I was also wondering if the PAL dvd player from Europe would output only PAL or be able to output the (possibly) needed NTSC here for Lori's TV. After closer inspection of her link it does look like they can. Sounds like Europe has better options for more flexible gear than we do in the States.
    I traveled to Europe enough that I bought a European hair dryer that I keep and only use on trips since I live in the USA. You can buy dual voltage hair dryers in the USA, but they suck because they drop the watts in half roughly when you switch them to European power. That's why I just bought a European hair dryer. However, it's not difficult now to find shavers that work on dual power. I bought such a shaver in the USA about 5 and a half years ago. I also bought some small Sony power cables for small devices like portable CD players that will work on dual power with only a plug converter - no voltage converting required.

Yes, the PAL world has for a very long time been able to view NTSC video. Back in the laserdisc days I think all or at least many of the laserdisc players sold in PAL countries could also play NTSC laserdiscs. Multi-standard TVs are common in Europe. In fact, you'd have to work to buy one (if it's even possible) that's not multi-standard. A few years ago I bought a DVD player in Europe for my girlfriend and I set it up for her and it was able to output PAL and NTSC video.
    Quote Quote  
  14. also bear in mind that trying a 220 volt item on 110 will not harm it where as other way round might blow it up.
    I'be bought quite a few items that say 220 only and , yep they work on 110 fine.

The best all embracing dvd players are the oppo, but pricey.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

It plays ntsc/pal and region free (When hacked), i watch on a sony 46" LCD brava, using pal dvd's I've made from pal vhs and they look great, even often wonderful, but then my eyes are 55 years old !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ya know the real crappy thing about the dual voltage thing is that for alarm clocks you also have to change the frequency setting (50hz / 60 hz) as well to otherwise the clock loses all kinds of time keeping ability. It gets really bad when the alarm goes off at 6am when the real time is 7am. uggggggh.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i still cant play my PAL DVD on this player,, It just says UKKNOWN on the screen
    HELP
    Quote Quote  
  17. could be totally unconnected with PAL, we need information, what dvd player and where did the disc come from, sounds like it might be unfinalised.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by panzerfaust
    Hi, i still cant play my PAL DVD on this player,, It just says UKKNOWN on the screen
    HELP
    We're not real good at reading minds, so unless you care to define exactly what "this player" is, you're not likely to get help.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    He posted in someone elses thread with basically as much info as this one.......

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348991.html#1865919
    Quote Quote