VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a home movie PAL VHS and would like to convert it into the NTSC VHS or DVD because I only have NTSC video players and TV. Does anyone know the equipments in the USA and method that enable for me to complete the conversion project?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you would probably need to buy a pal vhs machine that will run on 60HZ u.s. power.

if it were mine and i didn't have the equipment to play it and it was important i'd send to to a video shop that did, and have it converted to dvd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First of all you need a VHS VCR that can actually play back the PAL VHS video tape that you have. You basically have one of two choices. You can buy a special VHS VCR that can play both NTSC VHS and PAL VHS but the choice is this: most models are made to output only what they are playing ... in other words play a PAL VHS video tape and get a PAL video signal on output ... whereas some can actually do conversion ... in other words play a PAL VHS video tape and you can get a PAL video signal on output or a NTSC video signal on output.

The problem here is that the type that do the conversion are very expensive and the one that was most popular is now very hard if not impossible to find ... which pretty much means you are "stuck" with buying a non-conversion model.

There are several on-line websites that sell such equipment. Just do a google search for "multisystem" or "multi-system" etc.

However there is one in particular that I am fond of because I know they are reliable and cheap: 220-Electronics.com
    Another site that seems popular and from which I've purchased from myself: World-Import.com

The Samsung SV-5000 is a multi-system VHS VCR that does conversion. Supposedly it is very hard to find these days but currently 220-Electronics.com claim that they have it in stock at $469.00 US Dollars + shipping. Pop in a PAL VHS video tape and it will output PAL or NTSC as per your selection. Easy-to-use and from my understanding the quality is very good. Not cheap though.

You can get away much cheaper with the non-converting type of multi-system VHS VCR. For instance 220-Electronics.com has a 6-Head Hi-Fi Stereo SHARP for $239.99 ... they have a 6-Head Hi-Fi Stereo PANASONCI for $239.99 ... they have a 6-Head Hi-Fi Stereo SONY for $179.00

Only problem is ... while cheaper ... they will only output PAL when playing back a PAL VHS video tape. So what do you do?

1.) Record to a stand alone DVD recorder that can record PAL
    2.) Record to a computer capture device that can capture in PAL

Now at this point you have yet another option ... you can make a PAL DVD and play it back on a DVD player that does PAL to NTSC on-the-fly of which there are big enough (some very inexpensive) choices. The other option is to convert to NTSC on a computer BUT that can be very complicated to do just right.

However you slice it ... not cheap. Not cheap at all.

If you only have like one or two tapes and don't expect getting any more then you might want to just ship the tape off to a place that does conversion. Many places on-line offer this and you may even find a local place that does it if you look in the yellow pages under VIDEO SERVICES etc.

Generally speaking such a service should cost you no more than $20 - $30 US Dollars per video tape.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I forgot to mention yet another option. There are video convert boxes that exist that will do conversion. So if you buy one of the non-converter type multi-system VHS VCR units you can plug the output into a converter box that will convert it to NTSC. Problem with this is that said converter boxes are expensive so by the time you buy the multi-system VHS VCR and the converter box ... you might as well just buy the all-in-one Samsung SV-5000 which supposedly does a better job that most of those stand alone converter boxes anyways.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's pretty straight forward if you have a PAL VCR. I converted my PAL "Song of the South" VHS to NTSC DVD and it was easy. The two big hurdles were choosing which PAL VCR, and setting up Virtual VCR to capture the correct PAL mode.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic314195.html#1609497

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I am assuming you only have 1 tape to convert. Given the cost of buying any VCR in the USA capable of playing or converting a PAL signal, is it REALLY worth spending $200 or much much more just to get the VCR part of it to do it yourself? Many American cities have small video shops that specialize in converting video tapes to DVD for customers and they probably have the necessary equipment to do the format conversion for you. I think there are also places that advertise on the internet to do this kind of conversion to. Really, pay someone to do it if it's just a one tape conversion. It's not worth the money to buy everything necessary to do it one time yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, except the small video shops won't do it right. Plus, this is our hobby.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We have a Hitachi Multisystem VHS player and TV. We can see Song of the South but can't copy it to American NTSC VHS recorder. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mad4Mickey View Post
    We have a Hitachi Multisystem VHS player and TV. We can see Song of the South but can't copy it to American NTSC VHS recorder. Any suggestions?
    Capture it to PAL on the computer. Make a PAL DVD, then buy a DVD player that plays PAL discs to NTSC (e.g. Philips 5990/92)

I'll assume no copy protection.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I capture it to computer? We got our Multisystem at a second hand store for about $20. Did have to buy the Multisystem TV and have it shipped.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mad4Mickey View Post
    How do I capture it to computer?
    PAL VHS player to PAL capable capture card.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote