VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In the hope that it would be helpful, released another video conversion front-end, the Quick AVI Creator.

Quick AVI Creator (QAC) is a FREEWARE, easy to use front-end, which uses several GNU licensed applications
    to convert DVD/video to AVI/xvid/x264.

The extra goal of the Quick AVI Creator is the absolute tuning of the output. To accomplish this goal, QAC
    uses AvsP which is the main difference between Quick AVI Creator and other video conversion front-ends.

Therefore you have the full control of the generated Avisynth script, thus you take advantage of every
    feature that the Avisynth offers. You can preview the output, resize, trim, deinterlace, if necessary,
    change frame rate, add Avisynth filters like denoise, etc.

I open this thread, hoping that here would be the place to discuss about Quick AVI Creator.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello. I have recently started using Quick AVI Creator. Thank you for the program. I've used xvid codec quite a bit but I'm new to x264. I was wondering about the setting in Quick AVI Creator when encoding to .mkv using 264. There's a setting Credit Warning Time or similar. I was wondering if you could tell me how to set it to create no zones .. and also how to set it to create lower quality during the credits. I see in x264 options explained it gives some info on the command line syntax, but not much in the way of examples.

I'm just trying my first 264 encode to .mkv and I set it to 0 so that '0' shows on the command line after zone. Any guidance would be appreciated. I've used your program to do several conversions to .avi using xvid, both SD and HD with great results.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi, for "no zones" option, just add the number of the last frame in the box. To enable the option, add the credits start frame. Toggle the video preview to find either the last frame or the credits start frame by using the slider. Credits encoded using the q=40 preset.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the info. If I can ask one other question, is there any possibility to see progress once the video encoding is processing? The last stage the only way you have to judge when it may complete is estimating the length of the video and how long it will take to process. The progress bar just stays in place until muxing starts.

Your application looks like it may be the means I've been looking for to reduce the size of .mkv. What I did in the meantime is use the brute force method of editing the x264.presets to just take out the "zones" part of the command line. I can always put it back once I get more adept at using the settings.

edit: ok, I see how the preview thing goes. Easy enough to use. I just needed to look.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 24th May 2010 at 14:35.
    Quote Quote  
  5. QAC is just a front-end, it doesn't encode video nor any other complicated job, just serves the respective command for each application. The progress bar moves ahead once an application is launched and the log window shows the progress information given by the running application. I realize that I must make a new complete help document and perhaps a guide which will cover the whole thing in details. It is a matter of free time.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I realize you can only work with the feedback from the app. I'm just wondering because I notice in xvid there's a param to update progress every so many frames. I have only run it on Windows 7 and Vista so I'm thinking maybe there is some progress update that happens on XP? Windows 7 and Vista changed the way graphics are handled with composition and Aero and all that. I guess I could find out myself by doing a run in XP(just means a reboot as I have it multi-boot.)

I notice with xvid after about an hour or so you get some stats, then it chugs on(this is with one pass.. I just copied the 2nd line from 2 pass mode and took out the stuff about stats and passes .. actually works pretty well if you have an HD source.)

I realize it's a front end. I've been doing programming myself for quite a few years. It just seemed like with that progress update param that something should feed back to the mother application that launched it, at least in xvid.

edit: btw sorry to keep bugging you with questions. I was surprised to see this app has been out for awhile. To me it's a hidden gem. Esp. a lot of people try Handbrake but are frustrated with the frequent crashes. I find the xvid one pass output excellent esp. if you give it some bitrate to work with. For the processing time producing an HD xvid seems the way to go at least until I get some PC with 8 cores or set up advanced quiet cooling for my quad. With xvid I can put the job on the dual core(it runs quiet even when maxed out) and just let it percolate for a few hours.

Thanks for the replies and the program.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 25th May 2010 at 13:38.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for the delayed reply. A similar behavior is true for the x264 encoder, drops some info regarding the encoding progress. If you add the --progress parameter it will give you detailed info. Also if you change the value of the -progress parameter in xvid encoder will drop constant and detailed info. However these are all a waste of memory usage, if you change these values check out the task manager to see what I mean. Thank you for your positive comments. I am glad to know that my effort is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the reply. So far your app has never quit in the middle of a job. That inspires confidence I can just leave it run to completion even if it's 8 or 10 hours. Nice to have a tool I can count on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Just wondering if there's any plans to update to the new xvid release with new xvid_encraw.exe ??

edit: Tried it with xvid_encraw.exe from latest xvid update. Works as long as xvidcore.dll is also updated. I also tried a custom build where the builder says he added code to flush the buffers during stats output. Still did not update in QAC Gui. The only way I can get it to update stats in the Gui is not to use any Buffer param at all. Then the update is like, every second.

I noticed with the new xvid codec that on my dual core the total percentage CPU usage still adds up to about 1 core, but it's a bit more evenly distributed. Instead of 15% on one core and 85% or so on the other it fluctuates from around 25/75 to 40/60.
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 13th Jan 2012 at 19:40.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hmm, looks like development has been abandoned. Too bad. This Gui made it simple to convert to another format keeping the same resolution or making changes via AviSynth. It had a few quirks, but I thought it had a lot of potential.
    Quote Quote