VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some iso files saved on my computer. I burn a lot of dvd copies of them often using Imgburn. I would like to store more iso files on my computer, but it doesn't have enough memory--only 55 gb. They take up a lot of space on my computer, so I was thinking about buying an external hard drive with a lot of GB on it. I did some searching at the store and found one I'm considering buying. I think it said 160 gb which is just enough for me. I guess it connects to your computer via usb. It said you can store music and videos--although it didn't say specifically iso files.

Anyway, what I want to know is: can you store ISO files on an external hard drive? I know that the ISO file GB can't exceed the GB of the hard drive, but is there anything else I should know? I don't want to buy an external hard drive and find out it won't accept iso files or it's not compatible. Hope that makes sense. Thanks for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. format the drive as ntfs and your good to go. You may look for a ndas or network shareable external box.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5393408;jsessionid=+LusG+DeGdl7ZwD-ACCKqw**.node1?site=s...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

That is a external media player, drop a 500 or 750gig drive in it. It is NDAS, so any computer on your network would be able to access the iso files from it. It can play dvd ISO files menus and all on your tv if you choose to store your dvd iso files on it. It wourks as a usb drive if you want.

There are other external boxes as well that my suffice to your needs. My only suggestion would be to buy an internal drive like a seagate that comes with a 5 year warranty and buy an external box separate. One of your liking though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just to clarify:

An external drive (USB, IEEE 1394, eSATA) can store any file an internal drive can store.

ISO images may be larger than 4 GB. The FAT32 file system has a 4 GB file size limit. So you will need to format the external drive with the NTFS file system. This is true of both internal and external drives.

Note that many devices do not understand the NTFS file system. For example, many DVD players can play video files off USB storage devices. But most only support FAT32.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ronny G
    I would like to store more iso files on my computer, but it doesn't have enough memory--only 55 gb.
    No, it's not "memory". It's "disk space". No offense, but please do use the correct terms because while in this very specific case we know what you mean, if that number was, say, 1 GB, people might actually think you mean memory and give you unhelpful answers because you didn't correctly describe your situation.
    Quote Quote