VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. phpmysql348
    first, xcuze my english
    I am looking for a good lossless codec to convert a mpeg2 file into lossless, for editing in Premire Pro, and to export the edited video in the same lossless codec, an then convert it to divx. (so that I can prevent any loss in quality wich can occur during this process)

does Premiere Pro CS3 already has such a codec in the export movie options ?

also, I need to encode the edited lossless video to divx, using AutoGK, so I dont know what lossless codecs AutoGK can support

or perhaps you can recommend a professional tool for converting mpeg2 into lossless, wich has a good lossless codec that can be used with premirere, to export in lossless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would use either Lagarith or Huffyuv. You will have to download and install them. AutoGK should not have problems with either. Note : a 2 hour lagarith encoded file will top 60 GB, huffyuv will be larger again.

if you editing needs are simple, you might consider a dedicated mpeg encoder instead of CS3. This will allow you to work without loss (or with minimal loss on a small number of frames) and without the need for large intermediate files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. phpmysql348
    thanks for the info, that was I looking for, a lossles codec that offers better compression than other lossless codecs, converts to full frames from between mpeg2's keyframes, and it says on wikipedia that there is no quality loss due to color-space conversion ("Lagarith attempts to avoid this problem by supporting YV12, YUY2, RGB, and RGBA colorspaces.")

seems perfect

what about the audio, after editing it in premire, if I export it as Microsoft WAV Uncompressed, is this lossless ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    phpmysql348
    Sure, Microsoft wav is lossless format, I always use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may disapoint you here with not helping with an Adobe lossless codec solution, but I agree with Guns1inger that a dedicated MPEG editor may suit your needs. I too personally do alot of DivX and H.264 encodes from MPEG-2 and desire a similar quality retention method during my edits.

I use to use Ulead VideoStudio. Their lossless mode ("Smart Render") is terrible. You had to re-encode everything to avoid getting broken or buggy video. Adobe's is no better either.

I used lossless codecs. Although the results were good most of the time, I still had to deal with their issues, the time to "encode" and the major hard drive space and even compatiblity at times.

I find my workflow much easier now that I bought Womble MPEG Video Wizard. It does not re-encode a thing except for a few frames very close to the edits, and it's lightning fast. Then you can throw that into AutoGK to encode to DivX.

Others like it I can also recommend (I'm a software junkie) are VideoRedo and TMPGEnc MPEG Editor. I know you're probably attached to Adobe, as I was to Ulead, but sometimes you have to make choices in life.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote