VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_01_5.VOB

They did fit on one CD. The CD had a scratch and I fixed the file. Now I need to get them back onto a CD.

I tried Nero and it gave me an error saying MPEG-1 not found.
    I tried TMPGenc and the file it created was 115% of the CD. I couldn't make it fit.

What is the best software to get this back onto a CD?

Thank you,

Docfxit
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use a dvd to vcd software, https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-vcd-svcd . But you will only fit 80 min video on a 700MB/80min CD, or else must you make "xVCD".

Why not burn on a DVDr media?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Use a dvd to vcd software, https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-vcd-svcd . But you will only fit 80 min video on a 700MB/80min CD, or else must you make "xVCD".

Why not burn on a DVDr media?
    Thank you for the reply.

I think it's only 56min. I don't think my laptop will burn DVDr disks.

What software would you choose? If you had your choice.

Thank you,

Docfxit
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are several odd things about your post. First, you claim that all those vob files fit onto a single CD. A standard vob file is 1GB, so that collection of vob files you list looks more like a full DVD's worth of vob files, not a CD's worth. A DVD is normally encoded in mpeg-2, which is why Nero was confused. You fed it a dvd movie, and were asking it to treat it as if it were a CD. No go.

Second, vob files aren't supported as video files on a CD. You can fit files on a CD as data, of course, but they won't play like a DVD in a standalone player.

So, before any of us can really help you out, please carefully confirm what you actually are starting with, and what your ultimate goal is (e.g., playability on a standalone player or computer only, quality requirements, etc.).

Just to be clear, a CD can hold 700MB of data (800MB for VCD), and a DVD can hold up to about 9GB (for a dual-layer). Same diameter discs, but very different capacities.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    There are several odd things about your post. First, you claim that all those vob files fit onto a single CD. A standard vob file is 1GB, so that collection of vob files you list looks more like a full DVD's worth of vob files, not a CD's worth. A DVD is normally encoded in mpeg-2, which is why Nero was confused. You fed it a dvd movie, and were asking it to treat it as if it were a CD. No go.
    No, A VOB can be less than 1gb, 1 GB is the standard max size for a VOB.

Second, vob files aren't supported as video files on a CD. You can fit files on a CD as data, of course, but they won't play like a DVD in a standalone player.
    Wrong again, Yes they are, it's called a "minidvd"

https://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/minidvd

I've made them with Nero 6.

There should be the option under "videos/pictures > miniDVD" & then let you load the files.

But you never stated what version of nero you are using or HOW you were loading them into nero ?

As long as you have a DVD Video compliant structure that will fit on a cd-r i would imagine you might even be able to burn the files with ImgBurn ?

It's been awhile since i have made one but....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck is correct, but also somewhat misleading. Yes, it is possible to burn DVD format files to a CD-R, BUT (and it's a big one), you are dealing with CD-R capacities here. It's unlikely that the files the original poster has will fit on a CD-R. Very few standalone DVD players will play such discs, but it is possible to play them on PCs. I used to do this years ago when DVD burners and blank discs were very expensive. I found that I could get about 25 minutes or so of video on a single CD-R in DVD format with good quality. I would not advise trying to put 56 minutes of video in DVD format on a single CD-R disc.

The original poster should probably just make a VCD. Here's one guide on how to convert DVD to VCD:
    https://www.videohelp.com/oldguides/sefy/?id=ClassicalGuide.html
    It's not entirely applicable to you as you already have done the ripping part, but it might get you in the right direction. The free DVD2SVCD program can also create VCDs and it's not difficult to use.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    Noahtuck is correct, but also somewhat misleading.
    Misleading eh.....
    Nothing i see there as misleading, it's all correct.

Yes, it is possible to burn DVD format files to a CD-R, BUT (and it's a big one), you are dealing with CD-R capacities here. It's unlikely that the files the original poster has will fit on a CD-R.
    Originally Posted by docfxit
    They did fit on one CD. The CD had a scratch and I fixed the file. Now I need to get them back onto a CD.
    Unless he is misstating a cdr as a dvdr, as we have all seen it here at one time or another....

Very few standalone DVD players will play such discs
    I was also going to state this but, it states that in the link i provided.....

I would not advise trying to put 56 minutes of video in DVD format on a single CD-R disc.
    I guess it would depend on the resolution of the video, but i would advise putting everything on a dvdr but there are still many people around thinking VCD's are the best thing ever 8)
    Quote Quote  
  8. If the information stated is correct, all the OP needs is a burning program, of any kind, and all they need to do is burn the files to a CD, and nothing else.

Just use any prog that burns, select the files, and burn as a data CD. Current problem is that the chosen programs are converting the file. Don't mess with it, just burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the total file size dose not exceed that of cd blank ... then imgburn + cdr

Create the following folders

AUDIO_TS
    VIDEO_TS (place your files here)

1: Run imgburn, select "create image file from files/folders".
    2: In next window, where it says "source", go down to next box, and look right ... hit that little yellow folder icon.
    3: You now select audio_ts folder, then the video_ts folder.
    4: Click tab "label".
    5: Name disc in both "iso9660" and "udf".
    6: Back to left, hit "destination", and select location for iso to be written too.
    7: Dont forget to name the iso.
    8: Back and down left, click the large icon which is normally associated with running the process, and wait till done.

9: When iso created, you now > ctrl + alt + w.
    10: Source, select iso that was just created.
    11: Slip blank cd in burner and wait for imgburn to detect it.
    (any other idiot popup associated with asking what to do with blank cd = close it)
    12: Set burn speed to no higher than 8x ... for older dvd players, 4x.
    13: Click the associated icon which runs the current task.

14: Wait till done, leave the computer alone till task has successfully been completed.

===

Now the problem becomes "home dvd player" ... not all support the playing of what is known as "mini-dvd" ... mine do.

===

Check your not actually working with "mini-dvd" media
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a 'mini DVD' option in Nero Ultra (accessible from smart start menu).
    You'll be able to play it on PC, but with a standalone you'll most likely have problems at usual DVD bitrate values - due to limited angular speed. It works OK for programs like audio with still pictures.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck

There should be the option under "videos/pictures > miniDVD" & then let you load the files.

But you never stated what version of nero you are using or HOW you were loading them into nero ?

As long as you have a DVD Video compliant structure that will fit on a cd-r i would imagine you might even be able to burn the files with ImgBurn ?

It's been awhile since i have made one but....
    Thank you both for the reply.

That was a great catch. I thought the original was a CD. I haven't dealt with DVD's much. Upon closer look the original really is a DVD. That certainly answers the question of why I couldn't get it to fit on a CD.

I figured out my laptop will burn DVD's. I will have to buy some to burn this one.

Does anyone know what the best ones to buy are? A good place to buy them.
    The last time I bought CD's was at Costco. They had a sale 200 for the price of 100.

Thank you both for the information and realizing the original wasn't a CD.

Thank you,

Docfxit
    Quote Quote  
  12. From a B&M store I would buy Verbatim or Sony,Staples and OfficeDepot have them on sale occasionally.
    From an online store look for Taiyo Yuden(best IMO).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't Know if this will help or not, but I have tried this and seems to work fine.

How to rip a DVD to miniDVD using DVD Shrink
    http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/39/59/

Regards,
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck

Of course you are correct in the abstract, but I was trying to diagnose the OP's original problem. From the file structure (and the tone of the post, as well as Nero's revealing error message), I made a deduction, one which would actually help the OP solve the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by docfxit

I figured out my laptop will burn DVD's. I will have to buy some to burn this one.

Does anyone know what the best ones to buy are? A good place to buy them.
    The last time I bought CD's was at Costco. They had a sale 200 for the price of 100.

Thank you both for the information and realizing the original wasn't a CD.

Thank you,

Docfxit
    I second MOVIEGEEK's media recommendations. Verbatim, Sony and Taiyo Yuden are widely acknowledged (and for good reason) as excellent media. DVD writers can be oddly fussy, though, and sometimes will not work well with otherwise great media. A common example is any Mac using a Matsushita (aka Matshita, to fit in the 8-character limit of old) drive. They'll reject many perfectly fine media, or burn only at 2x speed. So, sometimes it's a bit of a hit-or-miss affair to find media that will burn reliably at full speed on a given drive. Hopefully, you won't have much trouble with this.
    Quote Quote