VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Which program do you prefer when authoring DVD-Video in linux?

I am a new ubuntu 8.04 64-bit user and now I am trying to author DVD in linux.
    So I downloaded latest Q-DVDAuthor and made a manual install (instead of using synaptic which would give me an old version). However eveything seems to work until I press "make DVD" button and the subtitles are rendered, then the desktop goes black and restart itself so I have to log in to the desktop again.

If I can't get QDVDAuthor fully working, then I will try some othe program for authoring.
    So that is why I ask, which program do you prefer when authoring DVD in linux?

I want a program with possiblilities to add subtitles and different audio tracks and a simple menu to choose which movie to play.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried running qdvdauthor from terminal to see what "if any" error messages pop up?

Applications->Accessories->Terminal
    type qdvdauthor

That should let you know what is happening "under the hood"
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    My Video Tools :: Free Security Software :: Ubuntu Antivirus Rescue CD
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    No, I will try that. But will the terminal remain after craching the desktop, or can I save the terminal output to a file so I can restore the output after the crach? I am not used to working with the terminal.

By the way, I noticed that directories or files with spaces in the name looked like separate directories in the terminal.

For example using the file browser I can se a directory with name "DVD output" but in the terminal window it will lool like "DVD/ output". Is it recommended to avoid spacec in files and folders when working with linux?

I found that using "" marks around the directory or file name works in the terminal:
    cd "/home/ronny/DVD output" works
    cd /home/ronny/DVD output does not work.

This is similar as when working with a terminal window in WindowsXP.

EDIT: qdvdauthor > output.txt
    The above should give me a log file output.txt
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ronnylov
    No, I will try that. But will the terminal remain after craching the desktop, or can I save the terminal output to a file so I can restore the output after the crach? I am not used to working with the terminal.
    Crap. Sorry didn't catch that it crashed your desktop. I thought I just read that it crashed the program. No terminal will probably not remain after desktop crash. You should be able to save the output of terminal to a text file but I'll have to do some digging to figure out how to do it.

By the way, I noticed that directories or files with spaces in the name looked like separate directories in the terminal.

For example using the file browser I can se a directory with name "DVD output" but in the terminal window it will lool like "DVD/ output". Is it recommended to avoid spacec in files and folders when working with linux?

I found that using "" marks around the directory or file name works in the terminal:
    cd "/home/ronny/DVD output" works
    cd /home/ronny/DVD output does not work.

This is similar as when working with a terminal window in WindowsXP.
    Yep quotes is the way to get around spaces in file/directory names.

Another alternative is dvdstyler.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Redirecting the terminal output to a file did not help because the file was empty after the crasch. But I solved the problem anyway because I remembered changig a setting of number of background threads from 0 to 3 because I was thinking my quad core CPU could use multiple threads. Changing this setting back to 0 solved the problem.

Now I am amble to author a working DVD but the subtitles did not show up as I wanted (too small , not at bottom of picture and special swedish characters did not work) but now I can test different settings without craching.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good. Glad you got it worked out.

OT I think I have auto-system shutdown figured out in HCbatchGUI GTK. If your interested I'll send you a preview via PM.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Yes, I solved the subtitle problems too. The subtitle srt file was created on windows so the swedisch characters ,,,,, did not show up right on linux, but then I opened the text file with openoffice, selecting a working text coding and then saved it as standard text. If importing the converted text file the characters was OK and I also figured out how to change color, size and placement. Qdvdauthor seems to be quite an advanced authoring program after all but it is a little bit tricky to get used to all the options...
    Quote Quote