VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. In spite of my searches, I haven't seen a simple explanation (if there is one) on how to preserve highest quality from off-the-air recording to DVD. I've looked at sources suggested in these forums (such as www.100fps.com), but most seem to start from a camcorder DV recording, which is not what I'm doing.

o I've started occasionally to record broadcast TV shows to my standalone DVD recorder (DVDRW) which I want to archive to DVD-/+R.

o I move the VOBs, etc, off the DVDRW onto my hard drive.

o I use Nero Recode (yes, I can hear your groans!) to extract just the main program (without the standalone's added menu on the DVD+/-R), with my only "edits" typically being removing excess start/end footage.

o Nero Recode always shows two program of equal length, which I assume is the odd/even interlace scans.

o I gather I'm giving up half the picture quality by being forced to pick only one of the two.

o If so, is it possible to keep the odd/even scans "together" to burn to the final DVD, preferably without jumping through a lot of hoops? I've seen various posts and guides about deinterlacing, but none seem to quite fit my situation. I realize I may be overlooking the obvious, though . . . .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are overlooking the very obvious - DVDs do not store the odds in one title and the evens in another. They in fact store both sets in the same frame, and your player and TV take care of displaying them correctly. Whatever Recode is seeing is not what you think it is, and is probably as good a reason as any to stop using it.

I also record from a digital STB to a DVD Recorder. I record in video mode, not VR mode, so I get a standard Video_TS folder and set of VOBs. I use VOB2MPG to extract the video and audio content (without quality loss), edit the resulting mpg file in VideoRedo or Womble, and then either author to a new DVD, or convert to Xvid with AutoGK.

If I open the disc made by my DVD recorder in DVD Shrink (the precursor to Recode) I see only the titles I recorded. I do not get two titles shown for every title on the disc. So either you are reading Recode incorrectly, Recode is reading your disc incorrectly, or something very screwy is going on.

Regardless, your main concern regarding throwing away half your video by choosing one title over another is factually incorrect and simply does not happen.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the response, gunslinger1.

I do realize that DVDs don't store the odds/evens in separate files.

And, yet . . . .

I just opened my most recent DVDRW disc made by my DVD recorder in DVD Shrink reauthor mode and, just like Recode (its successor), it shows TWO titles of the very same length of the ONE show I recorded. Each can be dragged into the reauthor section separately, allowing start/end points to be established for each (like Recode), so DVD Shrink also detects TWO files.

When both files are selected for reauthoring, the green "size" bar in Shrink does NOT exceed the 4464 mb it computes as the maximum for an SL disc. But, Shrink merrily reauthors BOTH files separately. Shrink shows compression at 53.9% for each file in reauthor mode, so it is obviously shrinking the two files, resulting in two lower-quality copies of the same program.

When Recode shows the compression ratios for the two titles, it is very high for a SL disc, roughly equivalent to Shrink; delete either from the list, and the compression ratio is 100% (no compression, since the original recording fit on a SL RW disc).

Like yours, my original DVDRW also has a Video_TS folder with a set of VOBs, and a separate Video_RM folder (which has the onscreen menu for the disc contents).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a VR mode recording onto a DVD+RW disc.

Am I right?

I bet I am

My el cheapo Funai stand alone DVD recorder does this when I record onto DVD+RW discs.

I just import the "first" title into TMPGEnc DVD Author and all is well. There really aren't two yet it shows two ... has something to do with editing I think. If you edit the material is still there and one title is the whole thing and the other is the "edits".

At least I think it works that way ... I never edit on the Funai and my Pioneer and alone DVD recorder (in DVD Video mode on DVD-R and/or DVD-RW) never did the two title set thing.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The RM folder confirms a VR mode recording, which is why two titles are being seen. If you aren't editing on the disc, record in Video mode instead. No RM folder, and only one title when ReCode looks at the disc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    how to preserve highest quality from off-the-air recording to DVD
    PVR or DVB-X (T/S/C) card = not re-encoded video and audio, unlike recorded by a standalone recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by noemi7
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    how to preserve highest quality from off-the-air recording to DVD
    PVR or DVB-X (T/S/C) card = not re-encoded video and audio, unlike recorded by a standalone recorder.
    I was going to suggest something similar, but decided to stick within the parameters of the OPs question. I use both because I am often recording several programs at once. Thankfully our SD FTA broadcasts are all DVD compliant, so beyond trimming out adverts, very little is required for authoring. I know that not all European broadcasts are DVD compliant. Not sure about the US.

I also use my DVD Recorder to record from HD broadcasts, as this is often quicker than having to convert on the PC.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for all the help!

Now my challenge is to figure out how to record in video mode and not VR mode, I guess.

My DVD recorder is a LiteOn LVW-1105HC. Looking at its various setup options, I don't immediately see a way to select video mode vs. VR mode, but I'm still investigating.

As to that RM folder: It's interesting that the very small files in it affect how both DVD Shrink and Nero Recode evaluate the single set of VOBs in the Video_TS folder as two separate programs . . . .

Wonder what would happen if I simply created a blank Audio_TS folder, then dragged it AND the original RW disc's Video_TS folder onto the final disc? Compliant? This may be the next experiment.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All that is happening is that DVD Shrink/Recode see the VR titles as separate to the VOB titles, but they are referring to the same video data. This means that you can simply pick one, and get the same image quality as you would get if you recorded in Video mode. Taking both simply takes two copies of the same video. You will find that Shrink and Recode act the same way on discs that have branching (e.g. Star Wars, which has different language versions of the scrolling text).

Bottom line : just take on copy of he video and you will get the results you are after.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm convinced and relieved that there's not some additional step I need to preserve the original quality!

Again, thanks to everyone for their help.
    Quote Quote