VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm having trouble combining 3 MKV files, each with their own video, audio and subtitles in sequential order.
    I tried to use MKVmerge but all I got was a single MKV file with all the individual parts dumped in there.
    In a nutshell, 3 videos A, B and C. I want to append B (with its own audio and subtitles) at the end of A and C at the end of B.
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You will have to

1. Extract the audio and video streams from the MKV container
    2. Join the streams. This may mean re-encoding. I would start with AVI Demux for this.
    3. Build a new MKV using the resulting files
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gotcha.
    Trying it right now.
    Thanks!

Edit:
    Hmm, I just tried with video A and I am left with one .h264, one .aac and a .ass file.
    How do I convert that into a single raw avi that contains all 3? Avidemux doesn't do it and VDM doesn't recognize *.h264 files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    or you can convert to avi? then put them all in virtualdub and save as avi

i guess that is the slow way
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jgv115
    or you can convert to avi? then put them all in virtualdub and save as avi

i guess that is the slow way
    Tried and failed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try loading all three mkv files into AVI Demux, but it won't join the subs. From there you can output an mp4 file
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    You could try loading all three mkv files into AVI Demux, but it won't join the subs. From there you can output an mp4 file
    How do you load 3 files into Avidemux? When I try, it loads all 3 files separately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Load file A, then append files B and C (File -> Append)

When you save the results, make sure you remember to add the file extension, as AVI Demux wont do it for you.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, trying that right now.
    Then comes the problem of the three separate subtitles.
    By the way, thanks a lot for helping me out on this. I appreciate it.

Edit:
    Wow, the audio in parts 2 and 3 are off by several seconds now.

Edit 2:
    Tried to load the 2GB file into a RAM disk to lessen file access speed limitation but it didn't help.
    I'm guessing that it's the audio and video that's actually not synced and has almost nothing to do with hard disk slowness in this case.

Edit 3:
    Full video acceleration is enabled on my 8800GTX. Running an overclocked C2Q too. System performance isn't to blame here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know this is an old topic, but I have a solution for you. I ran into the same problem as you when combining videos in AviDemux. It would either make the files out of sync or the program would completely crash.

The program you need to fix this is AVIMux GUI! Just drag the videos into AVIMux's window at the top. Then highlight all of them and click the "generate data source" button. This will fix your problem with not being able to combine files!

Now the problem with your audio and subtitles. Unfortunately I don't think that AVIMux will combine all the different audio and subtitles in one file like it does to the video. You will need to get a program that can combine those 3 audio files to make 1 file prior to inserting them in AVIMux. As far as the subtitles, if it's a real movie you might want to try downloading the subtitles online. Just make sure that the subtitles are for 1 file only.... and not for a movie download that was divided into 2 or 3 parts and therefore the subtitles are in 2 or 3 parts also.

I did the exact thing I'm telling you for the Lord of the Rings movies, the Extended Version. Each movie was in 2 parts with english and swedish subs. Using this program I took out the swedish subs by unchecking "all subtitles" and then selecting only english subtitles in the bottom part that shows the individual streams. And just so you don't make the same mistake I did, I needed to download the extended version subtitles for mine to work.....regular subtitles wouldn't have shown right for my copy of the movie!

Good luck! This should work
    Quote Quote