VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I am looking for a video editor, basically for clipping and cropping, which would work on most of the file types including
    flv and swf (if possible) and which would cut/split the video without the need for re-encoding. I have an old version of VideoRedo but that does not seem to accept quite a few file types.

Anything which is simple and easy to use

thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you will find one video editor that will accept most file types. Formats like XVID, FLV, MPEG, WMV, or RM all pretty much need different editing setups.

Cuts and pastes shouldn't need re-encoding with most formats, but cropping, resizing, transitions, or filtering will. VideoReDo is a MPEG editor. VirtualDub can accept quite a few formats with the proper plugins, but the output is restricted to AVI type formats.

Most of the available editors available are listed in our tools section.

Which codecs (Formats) are you primarily working with?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the tmpgenc 4 express is accepting most of the the files and it is also doing a good job of cutting and cropping. I would like to try virtualdub (Ihave used it) but where are all the plugins ? are they at one place ? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you go to our VirtualDub toolpage, right below the program downloads:

Other info:
    Download fccHandlers Virtualdub MPEG2 Plugin and WMV Plugin here, open mpeg2 and wmv directly in Virtualdub.

Download MOV,MP4 Virtualdub import plugin here.

Download FLV Virtualdub import plugin here
    For filter plugins: http://www.thedeemon.com/VirtualDubFilters/ AND http://neuron2.net/ are two places to look.

You can also use simple AVIsynth scripts to feed formats like RM into Virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks. The filters you quoted are more than enough for me !
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HI again.

I have put the wmv plugin downloaded from the above mentioned site into the plugin folder of virtualdub but when I try to import wmv file to edit it, it shows missing codec error in its window ? what do to now pls ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I don't think you will find one video editor that will accept most file types. Formats like XVID, FLV, MPEG, WMV, or RM all pretty much need different editing setups.

Cuts and pastes shouldn't need re-encoding with most formats, but cropping, resizing, transitions, or filtering will. VideoReDo is a MPEG editor. VirtualDub can accept quite a few formats with the proper plugins, but the output is restricted to AVI type formats.

Most of the available editors available are listed in our tools section.

Which codecs (Formats) are you primarily working with?

hey,why's the output avi file from virtualdub so large? i mean 6 GB for a 10min film is insane! Am I doing something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. You have to select a codec and configure the compression before saving. The default, as you have found out, is uncompressed, which produces very large files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Avidemux instead of virtualdub. You don't have to worry about installing codec plugins which don't even work lol. I had the same problem with virtualdub. Installed the codec plugin package as instructed and still won't open wmv, flv, etc. Stupid piece of crap! Try Avidemux, it's a lot less snobby.
    Quote Quote