VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I am new to video capture/tv tuner devices and have been trying to understand the model I have which is a Winfast TV USB II delux. I was under the impression that the picture when say viewing as a tv would be better that a tv set would give. The size of the window is so small and therefore the output also when I capture is not great. I have fiddled with everything to get a better result but I am afraid I am getting nowhere. The video captures are good enough from the vcr for youtube video uploads but nothing more. Is this dependant on using a better quality cable from the vcr to the capture device?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, not quite perfect ... some devices are better than others

For you, vlc > ctrl + A , select capture device by name, and if audio is processed by on board audio, then default should work.

Then once you have the picture (video) playing in vlc, simply double click in the playing video to change to full screen.

Bit more tinkering, but thats just the basics.

As for capture, preview, and quality recordings, it comes down to the device driver, software being used, and of course, the quality of the signal.

If you have the audio for tv coming into the usb device, you should split the signal into separate video and audio inputs, and pass the audio to you system line-in, not on the capture device, this should improve the picture quality.

For this, any device that connects to the antenna, which can split the video and audio to separate cables would give better results, tv with a/v outputs, a vcr, topset box.

I would also consider boosting the processor to over 2ghz for usb capture devices, or use a suitable compressor when considering the device specs required > http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/tv_tuner/specification.asp?pronameid=153&lineid=6&act=2

And welcome to the forum rapattack
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried using vlc I think but it doesn't open...some dll is missing or something. I don't remember....maybe i was using vlc for my webcam....not sure. I use vlc a lot with linux but not with windoze. I use the video capture device with windoze as when I googled no one confirmed that I could use it with linux. My attempt came up nowhere ages ago so I gave up as in windoze it just works. With the software it comes with ...some pvr thing?
    I have been able to expand the window to see the picture with full screen but it is pixelated....really bad!
    Ah the audio and video are separate cables. I do connect the audio via the device because I tried via my soundcard and nothing happened.
    No chance of getting a better machine. I am poor as hell and most of my stuff is found in rich areas or given to me. I did get some more ram for that machine though as rambus was hard to come by and well it only had 128mb before. The device wouldn't take it then and now it does work. The flow of capture and stream when viewing tv is fine btw.
    Oh I found the cables both for audio and video so that is why I thought maybe they are not good enough. They were not in the box when I found the winfast device. Everything else was inside though including program cd's and bag. I saw a diagram somewhere on the net that seemed to have a better video cable especially that looked professional.
    Ah so it seems the higher processor speed mentioned on that site is about dvd recording.....what do they mean by that.....do they mean capturing generally? I don't burn to dvd on that machine. I just straight record onto the hd.
    Quote Quote