VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I am new to digital tv and set top boxes so I want to know if I can use my set top box to record onto my computer digital tv. Oh and view digital tv via the pc. I hope I am putting it right. I have a Winfast TV USB II deluxe and am able to see the analogue channels that are being fazed out in Australia next year maybe the digital channels don't show up.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats not a problem, dvb topset box's have a/v output jacks via rca.

So long as the tv can see the digital channels via rca or antenna input , so should the capture device your currently using.

The only thing as you may have noticed or may have already experienced here in the au, is dvb signal lockups ... usb capture devices don't take these issues too kindly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah an aussie is here ...thanks! Yeah digital tv here is not so good is it. I also can't get sbs via the set top box. If I turn it off then I get sbs....very odd and it is not just me. 2 other neighbours that have better brands have the same problem.
    Ah yeah a friend did say that usb tv tuners are not as good as firewire and internals maybe. Luckily I didn't dish out any $$ for it. It was found out when trash hunting so I am happy really with what I have and if I can get more out of it then even happier.
    Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I actually do dvb installations, and to get any real improvement you need to do a few things.

If antenna is older than 15 years, I would suggest replacing it with a new and larger model to improve in signal gain collection ... and if near power line's, try boosting the height to get above them if possible.

The cable from antenna should be the heavier duty coaxial as it has far less loss of signal over its length, unlike the cheaper cable.

Take any antenna splitters, joiners, idiot boosters, and throw them where they belong, in the bin

Joins in the antenna cable should be only done with quality RF adapters.

Remember, it is unfortunate, but each tv set requires its own dvb unit, so viewing of different channels on each set can be performed ... twins dvbs are expensive

You could also possibly be getting interference from another tower, in which case, the antenna would need shielding to prevent this fault.

Most dvb topset units have a meter in the menu which shows signal strength per channel ... adjust the antennas direction so this never exceeds 90% on any available channel, or damage to the unit might occur... I usually adjust between 60 and 85 which gives quite exception quality for this area.

4 x abc, 4 x sbs, 4 x 7(prime), 3 x 9, 3 x 10 ... think thats the lot we get out here.

I highly recommend the units which are branded as "strong" ... avoid nasty awa junk

Got to love gst, they knew this would pull in the bucks ... I'm one of the poor collectors, lol

Finally, I would recommend the winfast dvt2000h > http://www.leadtek.com.tw/eng/tv_tuner/overview.asp?lineid=6&pronameid=252

Its the unit I have installed in the system now, and it dose a really good job, thou channels in HD really do take their toll if system isn't right up with spec's, it will drag itself kicking and screaming while its playing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok as far as the antennae is concerned it is some kinda tv station expensive setup in the roof of the Department of Housing block I live in. A few years back as the buildings where getting higher in the area(I live close to the city(Sydney) our channels were disappearing. Due to the pressure we put up the DoH spent the thousands on the damn thing up in the roof but they have had to come back a few times as it does muck up. The last guy that came last year said it was out of date and needed upgrading actually but doh hasn;t done that. Ofcourse! Anyway it isn't more than 5 years old I don't think. So my part is that I plug something in the wall and that's all. I am on the ground floor. One neighbour did put up his own external antennae some years ago but from what I saw he never got a better picture.
    Dunno about the power lines....they are there but not sure how close.
    Yep I thought that cable should be a better type. No probs I am out there in Woollahra this sunday to get one.
    Your right about all those bits. My field is audio...well I am an amateur but I have spent a lot of time in recording studio's learning and I do a bit here at home.
    There's nothing like quality so will keep that in mind! Thanks again!
    Quote Quote