VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Okay now...

    I have Windows Vista Home Premium and I downloaded VirtualDub 1.7.8 because I have a project that I want to start working on. I'm using a tutorial for practice before I start my project, so I'm using the files that the tutorial provided. When I tried opening the video file on VirtualDub it said:

    Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'WMV3' (unknown)

    VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

    -----

    I searched for a VFW compatible codec that could be used with VirtualDub but it didn't work. Is this just my computer being stupid or did something completely fly over my head? Thank you for helping me out, my mind is completely fried right now.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2005
    Location: Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Add the WMV plugin to the 'plugins' folder in VirtualDub.
    http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/WMV/index.html

    Install FFDSHOW and enable WMV.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow
    Enable the WMV decoders under “VFW Configuration” -> “Decoder” -> “Codecs”

    or look at the installation guide here.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date: May 2008
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you. That seemed to do the trick. I'm probably just stupider than I thought XD
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date: Oct 2009
    Location: Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sambat
    Add the WMV plugin to the 'plugins' folder in VirtualDub.
    http://home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/WMV/index.html

    Install FFDSHOW and enable WMV.
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow
    Enable the WMV decoders under “VFW Configuration” -> “Decoder” -> “Codecs”

    or look at the installation guide here.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm
    Hi sorry to annoy you but I have the exact same problem but the message comes up with "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'Xvid' (unkown)

    I'm hoping that you can help me
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date: Jun 2003
    Location: United Kingdom
    Search Comp PM
    Install the Xvid codec
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sambat
    Add the WMV plugin to the 'plugins' folder...
    Or install a VFW WMV3 decoder like ffdshow or WMV9VCM.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date: Nov 2002
    Location: United States
    Search Comp PM
    You still have to install the WMV Plugin when using ffdshow. WMV9VCM is an encoder (Video Compression Manager).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DarrellS
    You still have to install the WMV Plugin when using ffdshow.
    Yes, sorry, I should have made this clear. But the OP has already gotten past the point of opening the source file. VirtualDub is now complaining about not finding a WMV3 decoder. So either he has the WMV source plugin already, or his WMV3 video is in another (AVI?) container.

    Originally Posted by DarrellS
    WMV9VCM is an encoder (Video Compression Manager).
    I thought it included a VFW decoder too, but I just checked and found it only includes the VFW encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  9. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Hm? The OP (Katsu-kohai) seems to have resolved the problem... in 2008.

    Originally Posted by Katsu-kohai
    Thank you. That seemed to do the trick. I'm probably just stupider than I thought XD
    Then, hezbag revived the post today with a 'related' issue:

    Originally Posted by hezbag
    Hi sorry to annoy you but I have the exact same problem but the message comes up with "couldn't locate decompressor for format 'Xvid' (unkown)

    I'm hoping that you can help me
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Location: Hungary
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

    sorry for the question but I have problems w/ this program, too.. I've installed all things required, done the things you've recommended here, and it's still not working, cannot find the vfw codec... but I'm sure I have one. I've already had K-Lite codec before, installed DivX codecs... what's the problem?

    Thanks for your help, regards.
    Quote Quote  
  11. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Which VfW codec?

    You'll probably need to find ffdshow's folder in your Start menu, click on 'VFW configuration.' In the window that pops up, make sure you're on the Decoder tab, and that Codecs is highlighted in the left side of the window. Scroll down on the right until you find the codec that VirtualDub can't 'find.' In the Decoder column for that codec, click on the dropdown and set it to libavcodec.

    Click OK, then run VirtualDub and see if the problem persists.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Location: Hungary
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help!
    I've tried what you said, but sadly it doesn't work. Btw I've installed the K-Lite pack, DivX, DivX Pro VFW, Xvid.. that's all I guess. They all worked pretty good with the other editing programs.
    And I think it matters that it's VirtualDubMod, not 'only' VirtualDub.
    It's an MKV file I want to open, and there are two error messages (if there are, because sometimes it simply froze..):
    1. MKV: Subtitle stream (2) contains overlapping subtitles. Some of the may not be kept when editing. ---> I think it's not a big deal since I want to remove the subtitles from this file anyways...
    2. Couldn't locate decompressor for format ???? (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Payer, are not suitable. Only 'Direct Stream Copy' is available for this video.
    Quote Quote  
  13. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDubMod's support for MKV is rather outdated, and can't handle h.264/AVC video through the VfW interface at all (that's why you get the "Cannot locate decompressor for format ˙˙˙˙" message).

    Since all you want to do is remove the subtitle stream, install mkvtoolnix instead, and use MKVMergeGUI (mmg.exe) from the package to delete the subtitle stream. (Uncheck the box next to the subtitle stream, after you've loaded the video, and remux to a new MKV.)

    You might also want to install MKVExtractGUI while you're at it, to the same directory as mkvtoolnix, just to have it handy. (You won't need it for the above, but it's useful to have around if you're going to do a lot of work with MKVs.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ffspor_8
    2. Couldn't locate decompressor for format ???? (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Payer, are not suitable. Only 'Direct Stream Copy' is available for this video.
    Given that you have an MKV file, my guess is you need an h.264 decoder. ffdshow has a VFW h.264 that VirtualDubMod can use.

    Use MediaInfo to get information about your files. It will tell you what audio and video codecs are used.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Join Date: Dec 2009
    Location: Hungary
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    VirtualDubMod's support for MKV is rather outdated, and can't handle h.264/AVC video through the VfW interface at all (that's why you get the "Cannot locate decompressor for format ˙˙˙˙" message).

    Since all you want to do is remove the subtitle stream, install mkvtoolnix instead, and use MKVMergeGUI (mmg.exe) from the package to delete the subtitle stream. (Uncheck the box next to the subtitle stream, after you've loaded the video, and remux to a new MKV.)

    You might also want to install MKVExtractGUI while you're at it, to the same directory as mkvtoolnix, just to have it handy. (You won't need it for the above, but it's useful to have around if you're going to do a lot of work with MKVs.)
    Thanks so much - one more question, then I'll try handle this on my own
    Can I convert the MKV files to AVI with this program?


    //okay, I'm silly, I figured out that I cannot... of VirtualDubMod's acting like that and I need to convert it fast, what can I do?
    Quote Quote  
  16. VH Wanderer Ai Haibara's Avatar
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Somewhere on VideoHelp...
    Search Comp PM
    Right now, I'm using AVIDemux to convert MKVs to AVI. It takes a bit of getting used to, though, and may not run as well depending on your hardware (at least it did in my experience - it runs great on the system listed in my profile, but on the Vista32 system I was using before that (dual-core with 1GB RAM), it ran a lot slower, even with the process priority increased.

    You might try some of the ffmpeg/mencoder GUI converters like Avanti and WinFF. It's also possible to frameserve an MKV into VirtualDub/Mod using AVISynth scripts, but that's not for beginners and may require a little experimentation to make sure the video and audio remains in sync.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member Gr@f's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Location: Moldova, Kishinev
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    Install the Xvid codec
    It can be installed in any directory or only in VirtualDub directory for using in VirtualDub?

    and what about mp4 format support? it doesn't see this format
    Quote Quote  
  18. vanished El Heggunte's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Misplaced Childhood
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gr@f View Post
    Originally Posted by KBeee View Post
    Install the Xvid codec
    It can be installed in any directory or only in VirtualDub directory for using in VirtualDub?

    and what about mp4 format support? it doesn't see this format
    MP4, MOV, whatever: http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/QuickTime/index.html

    Xvid: just use the pesky installer, problem solved

    P.S.: bumping OLDE topics is often considered a bad practice
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member Gr@f's Avatar
    Join Date: Mar 2014
    Location: Moldova, Kishinev
    Search PM
    link's dead, it doesn't open

    XviD codec installed, but anyway I can not figure out its settings, I mean where to specify the frame size, frame per sec, average bitrate and others, those utilities in XviD codec directory for me are useless

    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    bumping OLDE topics
    by this I'm not quite understand what you mean
    Quote Quote  
  20. vanished El Heggunte's Avatar
    Join Date: Jun 2009
    Location: Misplaced Childhood
    Search Comp PM
    http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/Plugins/QuickTime/index.html works here.

    But sometimes, depending on where you are, or on the crappiness of your ISP,
    you may need the intermediation of a proxy server

    ++++++++++

    Ai Haibara's last post was written on 27th Dec 2009, 09:05 GMT.
    Your first post was written on 21st Mar 2014, 22:46 GMT.

    That is to say, 4 years ++ nearly-3 months later.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads