VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have got 2 DMR ES-10 with similar problem, Play back of all discs such as DVD, VCD, ACD,MP3 is perfect.If I try to record either from AV in or RF in ,the REC indication is shown on Display of DVD rec (and on screen display on monitor) which indicates that the recorder enters in recording mode. The problem is remaining time remains to 2:00 hrs and does not counts down,neither it shows the recorded time,remans to 000000 .also tried to record for different time intervals, the DVD disc remains blank. This happens in all made DVD disc. same problem with DVD R/W discs.If I try to erase any recorded DVD R/W in those machines, Erase function works well. Tried replacing optical pick up unit but problem not solved. Anybody have got any idea?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Both units are having the same problem? Then I wouldn't expect it to be a hardware problem, but a setup or user issue. I wouldn't expect two units to have the exact same problem.

Have you followed the recording instructions step by step from the user manual?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TAMMU
    I have got 2 DMR ES-10 with similar problem, Play back of all discs such as DVD, VCD, ACD,MP3 is perfect.If I try to record either from AV in or RF in ,the REC indication is shown on Display of DVD rec (and on screen display on monitor) which indicates that the recorder enters in recording mode. The problem is remaining time remains to 2:00 hrs and does not counts down,neither it shows the recorded time,remans to 000000 .also tried to record for different time intervals, the DVD disc remains blank. This happens in all made DVD disc. same problem with DVD R/W discs.If I try to erase any recorded DVD R/W in those machines, Erase function works well. Tried replacing optical pick up unit but problem not solved. Anybody have got any idea?
    Thanks
    Nothing internal (tuner, DVD, menus) on the playing unit is transmitted via the RF connection to a downstream device, like a 2nd DVDR... that's just a passthru for the TV signal coming in on the coax, i.e., from cable or antenna. That explains one failure to record.

If you're connected by a line connection (composite, S-Video) to the other DVDR, then you should be able to record a DVD from the other unit IF you select the Line connection on the 2nd recorder, i.e., select Line 1, 2, etc. on the recording unit, whichever you've got the playing unit connected to.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks my friend for your prompt reply,I tried step by step as per the user manual steps. for example,if I wanted to record from built in tuner, I have selected desire tv channel,I get picture and sound on monitor. I put a blank DVD, the set reads the blank DVD and according to my rec mode setting (SP), the remaining time R:2:00 is displayed on VFD of DMR-ES-10.Now I push the record button on DMR-ES10, The set goes to RECORDING mode.I tried to record about 10 minutes.When push stop, the chapter gets finalised (as indicates on monitor display). Now if I navigate the disk or press play button of DMR-ES10, on monitor "no titles recorded "is displayed and the disk remains blank.According to you what is my mistake?
    please advice,Thanks and Regards
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TAMMU, best thing to do now is give you a link to a post that has some diagrams in it for setting up a DVDR, like the ES10. See if you're set up in a similar way or not, then maybe we'll have a frame of reference in trying to figure out what might be wrong.

Click here for that post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. '.When push stop, the chapter gets finalised (as indicates on monitor display).'

I thought you have to finalize that yourself? I do it from the disk menu.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [s:742fdfde32]Have you tried recording output from a VCR or a DVD player? If so, what happened? (I guess its possible that DMR-ES10's sold in India would not be set up to detect copy protection, but to be on the safe side, if you perform this test you should use a disc or tape that is not copy protected.)[/s:742fdfde32]

[Edit] Are you trying to record output from a VCR or a DVD player? If not, are you recording a signal from an antenna, a satellite sevice, or cable service. Do need a converter box for your cable sevice?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestions friends,I tried all possible combinations like recording from
    1) built in tuner
    2)VCR
    3)video camera
    4) set top box.
    I get source audio video through DMR-ES10 on my monitor absolutly perfect (meaning input is fed to DMR-ES10,and my source selection like AV1, AV2 or Tuner channel seems to be correct.)If I connect all video inputs and if I switch input selector,the source image also changes accordingly(meaning the recorder switches the source properly)
    Everything is done as per the digram given .The DMR-ES10 goes into recording mode, I can watch what is being recorde on monitor, but when I replay the recorded material ,the the on screen message says no titles recorded.If I put that DVD in any PC Drive,it shows BLANK DISC.Even Panasonic authorised service centres have no idea.
    Also I am not trying to copy any copy protected material. I bought new DMR-ES15 yesterday and setting with all connections as DMR-ES10 tried to record and it records well.That is why I am sure some hardware problem might be occoured in both DMR-ES10. Also I tried to reset DMR-ES10 to shipping condition but b\no help. I am totally stuck on DMR-ES10 now. It is no longer recorder but became a DVD player.
    Thanks and regards
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This problem is one I've never heard of before with this model. The DMR-ES10 has a known problem with capacitors in the power supply. After about a year, many of the power supplies failed. That happened to mine, but I had it repaired, and it has been working well since September 2006.

The only symptom prior to failure was that when it was turned on, it displayed "SELF CHECK". This happened only a couple of times before it went dead. It's possible that only recorders made in early 2005 were affected, and the problem was corrected, but I thought I should tell you about it, just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks.I will check power supply and get back to you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi friends,I have replaced all electrolytic capacitor as well as MR4020 ic ,but there is no change in symptom.can not record any thing on DVD.I can formate DVD R/W which was recorded earlier.Is it a problem with digital pcb?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, for the misunderstanding, but I did not offer my warning as a possible cause for your problem with recording to a DVD. I was advising you of something else to watch out for with this model. Well, at least they should enjoy longer lives as DVD players.

I really don't have a good idea of what is causing your problem, and I would hate to see you waste time or money on another unecessary repair without a better clue as to what is wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you usually_quiet. i will use it as DVD player .I just wanted to find the fault or cause of problem as one of my friend who records tv programes on DMR-ES10 also has got same symptom and that set is also 2006 model.so I think a common problem must be there for those sets.If the fault is located ,it will be helpful to lot of people
    Quote Quote