VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Some of the .vob files are quite large, some are small. Looking at the individual .vob files with mediainfo, it lists them as mpeg2 files. And in fact, I find if I put an .mpg extension on them, media players will play them.

So, I take it the .vob files are the primary audio/video files. The largest three on one particular disc I made are 921,990KB, 921,680kb, 921,950kb. What's the significance of this size? The larger .VOB's are listed as VTS_01_1.mpg, VTS_01_2.mpg, VTS_01_3.mpg VTS_01_4.mpg though the last one is apparently the "leftovers" since it's only about 32 megs.

VIDEO_TS.BUP

VIDEO_TS.IFO

VIDEO_TS.VOB - 42kb < 1 second nothing but a black screen

VTS_01_0.BUP

VTS_01_0.IFO

VTS_01_0.VOB - plays the dvd menu though none of the menu items respond to the mouse, plays just as an image.

What are .ifo and .bup files for?

Thanks for all input
    Quote Quote  
  2. VIDEO_TS.VOB are your menus in the Video Manager Domain - obviously no menus here in the disc your seeing. Accessed when you press "title" on your remote.

VIDEO_TS.IFO are information files required to access content stored in the Video Manager Domain. The ifo and bup are the info file and the corresponding back-up files.

VTS_01_0.VOB - this is the Menu Domain for each Video title Set. The "_0" are your menus and is accessed when you hit "root menu" during playback of a title in a VTS.

VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, VTS_01_3.VOB - this is the movie for VTS 1

Every VTS has .IFO - INFormation pertaining to that particular VTS. Also every .IFO has .BUP files (back ups).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVD spec sets the maximum size for a VOB at 1000MB. If the video is larger than this, it spills across into the next VOB and so on. The VIDEO_TS.VOB is probably the VMG domain menu. The VMG domain is used to branch across titlesets - a top level menu, if you will. For a single titleset disc like the one you have described here, the VMG menu isn't actually required, however many authoring applications create a dummy menu that is blank, has not buttons, and simply passes through control to the VTS level menu.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videopoo
    VIDEO_TS.IFO are information files required to access content stored in the Video Manager Domain.
    It's not the main function of the VMG ifo file. Independently of DVD title structure and menu layout, VMG domain may have no content at all (no VIDEO_TS.VOB file). Even title selection menu can reside in one of the VTS's.
    The mandatory thing is to have some VMG menu PGC's (they may be empty, no video blocks), which are used for navigation through the whole DVD (e.g. for addressing titles or VTS menus) via pre-commands. Those PGCs can be accessed to from first play VMG's PGC (often empty), from each other or by commands from VTS's.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And if you look to the top left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD, there is more information on the DVD structure, format and specifications.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So, why what's the purpose of the .bup file? Why does there need to be a backup?

Also, what causes there to be more than one title on a DVD? I thought each chapter would be a title, but apparently not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the IFO file is damaged and cannot be read, the DVD will not play. On a correctly authored and burned disc, the BUP file is enough distance away form the IFO file that if minor scratches damage the IFO file, the player can read the BUP and continue on.

A title is any video on a disc. A title may have one or many chapters. A titleset (or Video TitleSet - VTS) is a group of one or more titles with like parameters (aspect ratio, framerate, resolution, audio). A DVD with a widescreen 16:9 movie and a 4:3 documentary will have two titlesets because you cannot mix 16:9 and 4:3 titles in the one titleset. Some people also use multiple titlesets simply to help organise their assets when authoring.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote