VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably not a big deal since theres only one problematic disc so far but its bugging the heck out of me.

the disc is a verbatim +rw I burned with my sony usb 840u burner. I had watched it ok on my standalone player (phillips) & was going to copy it to a +r using the pioneer as a reader. The pioneer cant see the disk. DVD Identifier sez "Error: unable to initialize disc in time,not ready, incompatible medium installed".

The thing that bugs me is the pioneer is the only drive having trouble with this disc. I've also got a LG 855 burner that reads it fine & the sony it was burned on reads it fine.

Why would the pioneer be the only drive that cant read it? I've only had it for a short time so want to be sure there's not something flaky with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Some drives simply have trouble reading some discs. While all DVD media of a similar supported type (+/-R and +/-RW) should be supported by a burner that supports that type of media, it has been proven time and again not to be the case. Aside from ensuring you have the latest firmware installed, there isn't much that you can do.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mine does the same thing. Thank God for AnyDVD and DVD shrink!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the replies.

glad to know i'm not alone pepigot1

i've since found a couple more video +rw's it cant read but it seems any +rw I feed it with backup or other computer files in it (as opposed to video files) it reads ok.

I guess I'll keep it, its still under 30 day refund from newegg, but frankly i'm much more impressed with my lg 855.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Many of the recordable units have problems reading discs that they haven't formatted. They will often also have trouble with discs they recorded, but were then erased by another unit (such as your PC), and when you put it back into the recorder they won't recognize it.

I suggest getting discs specifically for use in your recorder.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD±RW is still a battlefield.

Check some drive reviews nd mostly you can find terrible results with RW media, depending on the used media/MID, rec speed and x-times of rewriting.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote