VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I hacked my Coby dvd203 dvd player a long time ago. It was region free and could also play PAL dvds. I can still play all the old PAL dvds I have, but any new ones I get don't work. It seems like there is some copy protection or something. Is there something that I can do to get it to work?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I suppose it's possible, but PAL DVDs typically have less special copy protection than North American DVDs. I suggest that you do a Google search on your DVDs and see if others are reporting problems. You might also try to play them on your PC. VLC is free and it ignores region coding, so if it won't play them, there may be something wrong with the discs. If you are buying bootleg DVDs from places like China, well, the problem may be that there are just not made correctly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bubblefaerie
    I hacked my Coby dvd203 dvd player a long time ago. It was region free and could also play PAL dvds. I can still play all the old PAL dvds I have, but any new ones I get don't work. It seems like there is some copy protection or something. Is there something that I can do to get it to work?
    That makes NO sense.
    1) A DVD player "hack" doesn't give you the ability to play PAL DVD's...it
    only makes the player ignore the region code on the disc.
    2) Region Codes and PAL/NTSC have nothing to do with each other.
    3) Both of the above are painfully evident in the USA.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by bubblefaerie
    I hacked my Coby dvd203 dvd player a long time ago. It was region free and could also play PAL dvds. I can still play all the old PAL dvds I have, but any new ones I get don't work. It seems like there is some copy protection or something. Is there something that I can do to get it to work?
    That makes NO sense.
    1) A DVD player "hack" doesn't give you the ability to play PAL DVD's...it
    only makes the player ignore the region code on the disc.
    2) Region Codes and PAL/NTSC have nothing to do with each other.
    3) Both of the above are painfully evident in the USA.
    I'm aware that they are not the same thing. What I was saying was that, in addition to being region free, the player was able to convert PAL to NTSC and play Region 2 PAL discs. I have several official PAL discs that play perfectly on it. The newest ones I have start up and then scramble before telling me there is an error. They are also official dvds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you have a power outage recently? Maybe the DVD player got "re-set" and you need to re-apply the hack.

Even without a hack or a "re-set" DVD player (again no hack) it will play PAL DVD discs that are REGION FREE but will not play back PAL DVD discs that are of another non-USA region.

So try to re-do the hack and make sure you have the output set to NTSC and try again.

Another thing that comes to mind ... some hacks only make the DVD player REGION FREE but some hacks allow you to set the region. When you set it to ZERO then it should be REGION FREE but sometimes you have to set it to the region that the DVD disc is set to so if you have a REGION 2 disc try setting the DVD player from ZERO to 2 and see if that helps. Assuming your DVD player hack works that way (I have seen some that only allow ZERO and not other options).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote