VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to burn a copy of one of the two movies on a disc I just ripped. I'm on a Mac and using Toast Titanium.

Unfortunately, burning the entire disc onto a DVD-R will mean huge amounts of compression. I just want the second feature, which should fit on one single-sided DVD-R.

The problem is that my trusty companion, Toast, won't let me chose the second feature only. It offers me the choice of just selecting the "main feature," but when I do that it's apparent from the running time that it's picking the first movie (i.e. the one I don't want as much).

What can I do?

When I downconvert movies to MP4s for my iPod, HandBrake let's me choose the individual feature I want from the video_ts file, but it seems that Toast Titanium, which has been fine for most of what I do, is really unable to perform fine extractions of that sort.

Has that been addressed in Toast 9, perhaps? Is there another Mac-friendly program that could do it?

I'd guess most here are PC/Windows guys rather than Apple, but I thought I'd throw out the question. It's my first post!

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see this was moved to the Mac section. I guess Mac users here are more of a minority than I thought.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Is my only option to burn the whole thing to a dual-layer disc?

It seems ridiculous that I can't select which section of the disc I want to burn. I know there are still far fewer options for this stuff for Mac users but is there something I could use , other than Toast Titanium, to do the job?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Toast 9 lets you select any of the titles in a VIDEO_TS folder. What version of Toast are you using? When you click the options button is there an option to choose "custom"? If so, choose that and you should see a list of all the titles from which to choose what you want. This also lets you choose the audio track you want (at least it does in Toast 9).

There is an alternative that works with Toast 7, 8 or 9. Put your VIDEO_TS folder on the desktop. Choose DVD video as the format in the Video window. Choose DVD with the top button of the Media Browser. Double click on what appears in the browser window. You'll see a list of each title on the DVD. Drag the one(s) you want to the Video window. Toast extracts that MPEG video file from the VIDEO_TS folder. You now can set up a menu if you like before burning your DVD.

If the content is still too large for a single-layer disc then choose Save as Disc Image. When that is done choose the disc image using the Image File setting in the Copy window and Toast will apply its Fit-to-DVD compression when you click the burn button.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the Video Tab, sub tab 'VIDEO_TS folders' > Options, choose 'custom'. Then uncheck what you don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I was using Toast 8, but I just checked and it's Toast 7.

I'll try the alternate method you suggested, Frobuzz.

Then it looks like I need to upgrade to Toast 9.... Have you had any problems with that version?

Thanks to both of you for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other options include simply ripping the particular title you want, and then burning just that one as DVD (compressing it to fit, if necessary). Depending on whether compression is needed, and whether the free version of MTR will work on this particular disc, it could be a less expensive method than buying Toast.

Just a thought.
    Quote Quote