VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I overclock Intel 945G on-board video card? I need to overclock it to make 1080p h264 files play fast. My processor and RAM seem good enough for 1080p h264.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And I can't overclock the processor because it's Gateway.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If there are any OC settings, they would be in the computers BIOS for a onboard card. But I wouldn't have much hope if there aren't even OC options for the CPU in BIOS.

Can you add a PCI-e or a AGP video card? That would seem to be the best method if you need more graphics performance. And I assume you are aware that on-board video cards often use installed RAM to improve the video card's performance. Though, if you have 2GB RAM, that shouldn't be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I added the ATI Radeon HD 3450 video card, but comp doesn't see it so far. The installation instructions for the card tell me I need to disable the onboard card to use this card. How do I disabled it? My computer is Gateway 5620 with Intel 945G motherboard. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the setting to disable on-board video is in the motherboard bios screens. just go through them until you find it. at boot up hit the delete key or whichever of the f# keys is required.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get a copy of CoreAVC if you want to play h264 smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The comp still doesn't see the card. I mean, even when I turn on the monitor, nothing gets displayed. What's wrong then? The card sits tightly in the slot.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you managed to disable the on-board video in BIOS yet? Once you do that, Windows should recognize the card, then you can install the proper drivers after boot. Depends on your PC, but with most you tap the 'Delete' key until the BIOS screen show up. Or your computer may use another key. The correct one should be displayed near the bottom of the screen as the computer starts to boot.

If you have changed the BIOS and you have your monitor plugged into the new card, amd you get no display, you may have a bad card.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The documention for the card says I gotta disable onboard graphics on the motherboard. Do you know how to disable graphics on 945G motherboard.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Goto your BIOS external pheripheral setup screen, and select default video to your Radeon card type (PCIexpress or AGP or PCI), hit F10, and save, and reboot.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oleglelchuk
    The documention for the card says I gotta disable onboard graphics on the motherboard. Do you know how to disable graphics on 945G motherboard.
    Do you know what BIOS is???

to access Gateway BIOS screen from http://support.gateway.com/s/motherbd/shared/2518614faq42.shtml:

Q: How do I enter the BIOS setup utility?

A:
    When the computer is turned off:

Turn on the computer and immediately press either the F1 key or the F2 key at one-second intervals to enter the BIOS setup utility.

When the computer is running:

Restart the computer. As soon as the computer begins to restart, press either the F1 key or the F2 key at one-second intervals to enter the BIOS setup utility.

Q: What changes are made in the BIOS Setup Utility to install a PCI (or PCIe?) video card?

A: Before installing the PCI video card you need to change a setting in the BIOS Setup Utility. In the BIOS Setup Utility, under the Boot option, change the Primary Graphic Device from Internal AGP to External PCI (or PCIe?) . Press F10, and then press ENTER to save and exit the BIOS Setup Utility. As the computer restarts, turn off the computer and install the PCI (or PCIe?) video card
    Note: make sure you connect the monitor to the onboard connection when you do this 'cause your computer does not see the new video card until you disable the onboard video.......
    Once you disabled the onboard video, turn off the computer and connect the monitor to your new video card and boot up again. Your computer should "see" the new video card and boot up (maybe only to VGA until you install the driver.)
    Quote Quote