VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Looking through my remaining fresh media pile and found that i still had some Ritek's left! I've long since ceased using Ritek because the media they started using a while back was garbage along the likes of Princo.

This however was some of the media sold under the Ritek brand back when Ritek was still considered GOOD. From the media I.D thingy in DVDinfopro these appear to be Ricoh japan, specifically "RICOHJPNR01".

I actually have a few back-ups using these discs and decided to do a full-scan(DVDinfopro) for errors. So far they look perfectly fine and held up well over the years.

So is Ricoh reliable? Any input would be appreciated.

Edit: By the way, i've run out of TYs. That is why i'm considering using these.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have no experience with those myself but there seems to be a lot of comments on them, read more here.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ricoh is considered a low quality manufacturer. We don't recommend them.
    If you want to use them, use them sooner rather than later. Some websites suggest that unburned discs do have a finite shelf life that is much lower than when data is burned to them. If this is correct, it would not be in your best interest to delay using this media if you just want to use it up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They could be okay if they werent from Ritek!!!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  5. Used a ton of them a couple years back. Was a very reliable media code for me, across several brand names, including Ritek.
    If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
    George Carlin
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used lots of Ricoh disks back in the day when they were good, as you describe. I don't remember the media code but the one you quote looks familiar. I remember that the ones from Japan were prized and the ones from Taiwan were shunned. I think the Japanese Ricohs were rebranded TYs, but I could be wrong. I never had a coaster with any of mine unless I did something wrong. Years ago Ricoh got lousy and I stopped buying their disks. The old stuff was excellent though.
    Every once in a while I play a DVD I backed up on those disks many years ago and they always work perfectly.
    If your blanks were a year of so old I'd say you were fine but I'd worry a little because of their age.
    If I was in your shoes, I'd get a pack of TYs for the stuff I can't afford to lose and use up the old Ricohs on the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ricoh is one of the few media listed on Plextor's recommended media list along with Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. Though this may be older slower speed media that is recommended. Their CD-R discs are some of the best I've used.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blizno
    Every once in a while I play a DVD I backed up on those disks many years ago and they always work perfectly.
    If your blanks were a year of so old I'd say you were fine but I'd worry a little because of their age.
    The older Ricohs are still playable for me as well. I still have a few in storage. I used one for a recent TV recording and the results were decent. If stored properly they should be fine.
    Quote Quote